short story lengths? (1 Viewer)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
hey how many words is everyone's short story, those people who are doing them for major work.

mine is about 6500..

Godly_Child

The word limit is 8000....
Not including your reflection statement... so keep writing mate...

They say that 'the good writers' can keep their story consistent over the 8000 words..

Goodluck

Mike85

Mine is 7000 words, though I plan to cut about 500 out- as they say "Less is more", and in relation to my story, this is correct.
But yeah, I'm so glad to have it finshed... now only the rigorous task of editing lies ahead.....

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
i dont think u need the whole 8000 words.. i finished my draft lats nights and its around 6500.. another 1500 words would just be random filler.

need to stop thinking about 4u, and more about subjects that actually have Trial exams..

pri

HSC
N/A
mines 8600

the word limit isnt enuf!!!!

then agen Im doing a crime/drama, so I need words to describe stuff and set up the clues

pri

HSC
N/A
i slashed my story to bits

so Im under now! well so far, i still gota rewrite the end!!

grr trials!!

I see the light at the end of this tunnel though!

andIm happy, I got a raw mark fo 46/50 for ext 2 english, which may not be *extremely* high, but Im happy with it...

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
i had like 15000 words at first and mine is due next tuesday! dunno how i'm gonna cut down - teacher sez im band 4 - hope so!

does anyone know if you do well in 4unit but shit in 3unit will that screw up your marks or scaling? coz im last in 3u and first in 4u!

had first english exam trialz today -good luck st ives

elfgal

rayanz - your 3u & 4u marks have no impact on each other - both subjects are scaled independently. all it means is that you're 3u mark might not count towards your uai and your 4u almost certainly will :)

PIE

I've been told that you have a 10% margin on your word limit does anyone know if this is true? At the moment my story is 8245 words n i still have extra inserts I have to write. Should I start chopping even more material or is it ok to go 10% over or under the limit.

elfgal

my teacher told my friend last yr that it was really important she kept to the limit, but if she was really pushed 100 words or so over should be ok.
when i had trouble hacking at my reflection statement, she said that i'd probably get away with 10% over...
but then i got it down to 1499 words :D

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
if you go over the limit they consider it a weakness and that you have a problem exercising control over your chosen medium, etc. if they notice you're over you WILL be marked down. it says nothing in marking criteria about "10% over is okay" so i personally wouldnt risk it either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)