Short story - research??? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
How exactly does one research if they're doing a short story for their major work? I mean, I'm doing a short story for sure now, but how exactly do you research for it if the story is just creative???

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
I didn't do short story (i did critical response) but from watching my friends there is considerable research involved and you won't get away with it if you just "crap on" because that becomes very evident in your reflection statement- and yes, that's marked by the BOS!
I'm not sure what your idea is so I can't tell you specifics of how to research but here are some tips;
-if your story is based in a particular genre eg. fantasy, then read up on that genre and it's conventions (oh god, eng x1 flashbacks..)
-If your story is set in a different time or country read up on that and do that indepth because it you don't it will make your story less realistic
-If your story is in a particular style read authors of that style for inspiration
-Go to workshops, read books etc on how to write. I'm sure you know but to do well in eng x2 you need to know how to write well. Any tips on characterisation, effecting setting etc won't hurt
And yes this research will pay off -you'll have a fantastic final product and a great reflection statement!
good luck :)

You should research ways of writing... :(

... and the subject matter you're going to be writing about- make sure you get it right! :eek:

And whatever you do, don't do an autobiography... apparently they get very very poor marks :mad:

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
my research included

reading other authors ie after reading tom wintons 'the riders' i decided to play around with less traditional punctuation etc

choosing a theme and exploring that ie mine was new years day so i looked at customs, the lyrics to auld lang syne and the U2 song and how it was used in by other authors

using writing books ie writing with out the muse by kate greenwall, everyhting i know about writing by john marsden

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)