Shortening Degree Length? (1 Viewer)

crashedann

HSC
Would it be possible to shorten the length of your degree by overloading on units or doing summer school? I'm considering Comm/Arts at USYD but I think 5 years would be a bit too long, especially if I'm also going to be doing Honours, Masters, etc.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yes you can, however be prepared to work your ass off if you decide to overload or take summer school units, not the easiest thing to do. Also, if you plan to do honours, you need to be sure that you can maintain a high gpa when overloading. I'm sure it can be done, you would just have to work very, very hard.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
Also be prepared to pay for it - summer and winter school at usyd are full fee. So you can get fee-help (ie. get loan from the government, but there's a 25% loan fee), but its not subsidised by the government. Eg. Hecs law subject (normal semester) = $1080. Summer school law subject = $3700. Its very expensive. (Law prices summer school I would expect to be similar to commerce, but arts should be cheaper).

Also note that in my experience arts (depending on what your major is) doesn't necessarily have a great range of summer or winter school subjects on offer. It can be very limited.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
And unless you're *very* dedicated, you won't be wanting summer school every year. At some point you actually need to take a break.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Would it be possible to shorten the length of your degree by overloading on units or doing summer school? I'm considering Comm/Arts at USYD but I think 5 years would be a bit too long, especially if I'm also going to be doing Honours, Masters, etc.
It can be done, just be prepared to say goodbye to your social life or for that matter - any life other than university. Seriously, it depends on how much you want to shave off your degree, if it's just one semester or one year, it is manageable and can be done with a fair amount of work. But anything more than this will be pushing it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
its definitely possible.
commerce/arts might be okay especially if all your subjects are 3 contact hours, then 5 subjects would only be 15 contact hours, so theres still plenty of time.

ct92

HSC
It depends on the subjects. I'm taking finance and economics subject and I plan to overload for a few semesters. At only three hours a week per subject, I don't think it'll be too much. That would obviously be very different if you were taking subjects with five or six contact hours a week.

Also, summer courses may not last the entire summer, some of them are online, and some are just a week of full days. If you choose those subjects, they won't cut into your summer too much and shouldn't be ruled out - in my opinion, it would be sort of nice to get something useful done over the three-month break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)