Should Abortion be legallised (1 Viewer)

Should abortion be legallised?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBear_25

HSC
Hi ppl

I have an assignment for studies of religion.

The question is "Should abortion be legallised?"

Yes and no responses

People from Catholic background could you please comment
with reference to Catholic teaching.

PS; Abortion is already legallised in Australia.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
speaking from a Christian perspective i believe no. just because it's a foetus does it mean that they it not's human and that it doesn't exist? abortion practically takes life away from them and that is murder. the only difference is that the individual is not doing it directly towards it. instead she uses different methods such as pills. no human has the right to do that and it is a key commandment. it doesn't matter if the baby will reck the life of the mother. it's their fault for trying to be a hero and not taking better precautions when engaging in sex. thus its now their responsbility to raise it into this world. but another problem is that if the individual was raped or sexually assaulted. if that's the case, the mother could quite possibiliy give the baby up for adoption. if you watched some of those science videos about aborition and the soundtrack that goes with it, you will be freaked out because you can hear the foetus scream and it trying to protect itself from being sucked out. thus they know whats happening to them, they can feel it and what's wrost is that they can't protect themselves against it.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Speaking from an atheist perspective, the fundamental argument (from which all other arguments in relation to this issue are derived) comes down to whether the unborn foetus is actually a sentient human. For christians, this is an easy answer, since the position of the Catholic church at least is that life begins at conception, as this is where the fundamental genetic code that forms the basis of what makes us us is formed (and stays with us until death). But for others, life doesn't begin until much later. As my esteemed colleague Rose Jackson once put it, "you lose more cells cutting your toe-nails than you do having an abortion before twelve weeks".

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm, there's a big thread on this topic in the L&R forums. Click here to check it out. ;)

HSC
I was born, baptised, reconciled, communified, confirmed and raised catholic, and I believe that abortion should be legal because it is the only stance you can take without either condoning murder or forcing a rape victim to carry her rapists child.

52526Emmy

HSC
Yes. A woman should have the right over decisons about her body

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
Pro Choice. but with new laws (NSW) resulting from the Renee Shields and Kylie Flint cases (murder of foetus) we must be very careful in setting guildlines on when (end of period abortion can happen) and how abortion can be carried out

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
I'm taking Bioethics at Uni and our current topic is abortion. It considers the stages of development (From fertilisation to birth) and a majority from historical perspectives believes that it can be done before "ensoulment"...and so, the dispute is now over which stage of development ensoulment occurs. As a buddhist, I believe in pre-destiny and that the soul is pre-destined to come to the child you'll carry. I would not, ever, allow abortion personally, even in a rape situation. I would see it as a "punishment" if I do not use protection and as a "destiny" if I have to risk my life. We should not go against nature...I take everything as it comes and by accepting the burden and do my penance.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
"going against nature" is a really sweeping statement. I can't help wonder where you personally draw the line. Only judging by the one post, you accept everything and anything that happens to you, it sounds passive etc.

Accepting the burden, well, could you please justify the rape case a little further - it was destiny to be raped?

I'm not particular a fan of destiny, its very subjective. Was it destiny for someone to be born into and remain in a severely abusive family or was it destiny for them to leave the family?

The idea of destiny is severely subjective

nwatts

HSC
Yes, it should be. Also a Christian perspective.

God allegedly gave his minions free will. Let them exercise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)