Should assassination be a legitimate foreign policy tool? (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
only if it is carried out via predator dron

haha silly predator dron and ur silly hellfire missiles

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
if you didnt want to get bombed by a drone you shouldnt have been a such a cunt in the first place

enoilgam

HSC
Yes it is a legitimate foreign policy tool if used in the appropriate situation. When your life is on the line and being threatened, you do what it takes to survive. In a fight to the death with another person, the whole notion of a "fair fight" goes out the window - you spit, bite, kick the guy in the nuts or whatever to ensure that you walk away from the fight. Humans balance their ethics with their nature - and its human nature to want to survive. So if some terrorist is posing a threat to a country - that country should be able to do whatever it takes to save themseleves.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Yes it is a legitimate foreign policy tool if used in the appropriate situation. When your life is on the line and being threatened, you do what it takes to survive. In a fight to the death with another person, the whole notion of a "fair fight" goes out the window - you spit, bite, kick the guy in the nuts or whatever to ensure that you walk away from the fight. Humans balance their ethics with their nature - and its human nature to want to survive. So if some terrorist is posing a threat to a country - that country should be able to do whatever it takes to save themseleves.
+1

boris

Banned
HSC
when would an assassination ever be more appropriate than capturing and sending them to trial lol

boris

Banned
HSC
give an example of an 'appropriate situation'

boris

Banned
HSC

imagine if the usa was using drones to assassinate their own citizens

enoilgam

HSC
when would an assassination ever be more appropriate than capturing and sending them to trial lol
Thats the difficult part - obviously an appropriate situation is extremely subjective. In life, sometimes you dont have the luxury of resolving a problem via peaceful means.

boris

Banned
HSC
in your opinion
what is an appropriate situation to conduct a state sanctioned *premeditated* murder

enoilgam

HSC
like when
Bin Laden's death - if he had of lived, his trial/subsequent execution (assuming, in all likelyhood, that a US court would sentence him to death) would have greatly inflammed the Islamic fundamentalist movement over a longer period of time. This could probably have brought about increased terrorist activity. His death brought a quick end to the matter and hightened tensions over a shorter period. Obviously, this is a controversial view - but in my opinion, Bin Ladens death was a necessity.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Bin Laden's death - if he had of lived, his trial/subsequent execution (assuming, in all likelyhood, that a US court would sentence him to death) would have greatly inflammed the Islamic fundamentalist movement over a longer period of time. This could probably have brought about increased terrorist activity. His death brought a quick end to the matter and hightened tensions over a shorter period. Obviously, this is a controversial view - but in my opinion, Bin Ladens death was a necessity.
so you think its better to off some bloke than to stir up those islamic savages?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I dont like the idea of killing anyone, but given the options I think it was for the best.
what if your dog was being an osama-grade cunt and i thought it was for the best that i killed it?

what if it was you?

enoilgam

HSC
what if your dog was being an osama-grade cunt and i thought it was for the best that i killed it?

what if it was you?
I dont have a dog. Osama was waging war with the US - in war you put your life on the line and you have to live with the prospect that you may be killed. For better or worse, Osama was a soldier - and he met a soldiers death at the hands of the US.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I dont have a dog. Osama was waging war with the US - in war you put your life on the line and you have to live with the prospect that you may be killed. For better or worse, Osama was a soldier - and he met a soldiers death at the hands of the US.
im sorry but terrorist organisations cannot 'wage war' on states in any legally meaningful sense, and nor can the US 'wage war' on terrorist organisations (in before war on terror, that is a political slogan not a declaration of war). you also have serious misconceptions about who and what a soldier (combatant) is. the principality of hutt river declared war on australia in 1977. would we have been justified in assassinating Prince Leonard?

boris

Banned
HSC
yes killing him without a trial definitely helped ease tensions between islamic radicals (and even islamic moderates) didnt it. they are unenlightened savages after all

and he wasnt really assassinated was he, i mean you dont send 80ish members of seal team 6 to assassinate people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)