Should be easy SHM question (1 Viewer)

J-Wang

HSC
I just can't seem to see what to do, and it is very frustrating because I know it's relatively easy :p

anyway, the question is: "The period of a particle moving in SHM is 6s and its amplitude is 8cm. Calculate its velocity and acceleration (to 1dp) when the displacement is 5cm from the centre of motion."

i know i need to use v^2=n^2(a^2-x^2) and i also need to use acceleration = -n^2x, but i am struggling. someone please help?

Alkenes

HSC
N/A
You can't use the formula since we don't know what is the centre of motion
I just can't seem to see what to do, and it is very frustrating because I know it's relatively easy :p

anyway, the question is: "The period of a particle moving in SHM is 6s and its amplitude is 8cm. Calculate its velocity and acceleration (to 1dp) when the displacement is 5cm from the centre of motion."

i know i need to use v^2=n^2(a^2-x^2) and i also need to use acceleration = -n^2x, but i am struggling. someone please help?

J-Wang

HSC
You can't use the formula since we don't know what is the centre of motion
well do you know how to do it then? because i was thinking of subbing in two value and solving them simultaneously, but not sure which values to sub in

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
tell us lol
You can assume the centre of motion to be the origin because that doesn't change anything. None of the distances given are with respect to the origin, just with respect to the CENTRE of motion, which we will make the origin for simplicity sake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)