Should BYO laptops be allowed at school? (1 Viewer)

vishnay

God
HSC

I always thought a laptop was a powerful tool that was practically necessary in this day and age. However SHORE school deems them a major source of distraction. Presumably, this view would be shared by teachers in classrooms all over the world as laptops are misused by some students. So should BYO laptops be allowed or should they be banned from the classroom in favour of government issued laptops?

HSC
BYO laptops >>>>

people want to use mac or windows, or some other notetaking program like notion or obsidian. oh guess what you can't do that if your laptop is school-issued
Some program the laptops to shut down at a certain time of night and during holidays.
This makes the laptops completely useless imo, if you are forced to finish an assignment late or revise during the holidays you can't do that either

I think that the problems with distraction are in 90% of cases not fixed by banning BYO laptops. Ppl will still find ways to game/access uneducational websites if they are on school-issued laptops.

vishnay

God
HSC
BYO laptops >>>>

people want to use mac or windows, or some other notetaking program like notion or obsidian. oh guess what you can't do that if your laptop is school-issued

This makes the laptops completely useless imo, if you are forced to finish an assignment late or revise during the holidays you can't do that either

I think that the problems with distraction are in 90% of cases not fixed by banning BYO laptops. Ppl will still find ways to game/access uneducational websites if they are on school-issued laptops.
how do u suggest we address distractions in the classroom?

r distractions from byo devices substantial or r they manageable/irrelevant?

5uckerberg

HSC
From what I see here @vishnay and all former/current high school students I believe that laptops should be allowed in school because teachers especially tech-savvy types will encourage students to use Geogebra/Desmos/Wolfram Alpha because these things are very helpful in showing graphs, especially in the topic functions and all other mathematical aspects. Plus, another thing you might not know is that a laptop can be used for multiple subjects while carrying many exercise books day in and day out can be tiring.

vishnay

God
HSC
From what I see here @vishnay and all former/current high school students I believe that laptops should be allowed in school because teachers especially tech-savvy types will encourage students to use Geogebra/Desmos/Wolfram Alpha because these things are very helpful in showing graphs, especially in the topic functions and all other mathematical aspects. Plus, another thing you might not know is that a laptop can be used for multiple subjects while carrying many exercise books day in and day out can be tiring.
absolutely

i can't even fathom the perspective the school has taken in this instance

banning byo devices seems like a step in the wrong direction yet for some reason a multitude of ppl agree that devices actually do more harm than good

ik that my laptop definitely increased my productivity and saved my back throughout all those years of highschool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)