• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should conscription be re-introduced in 21st Century Australia? (2 Viewers)

Should conscription be re-introduced in 21st Century Australia?

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
omfg this whole debate is hypothetical omfg
It's really not that hard to understand.

Apart from Sam trying to argue that omg we're under immediate threat .... we're not actually under immediate threat?

Given that we are an isolated Island in the middle of the fucking ocean, given the geographic nature of Australia ... nobody wants to invade us ffs.

Do you know how ridiculous it sounds to sit here and argue over 'hypothetical enemies'.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I have an issue with forcing people, by luck of the draw, into compulsory military service in the event that maybe we'll get attacked by an invisible enemy.
In that case why do we pay our active military if it's all just a hypothetical threat? If it's because there is truly a possibility of war then there is no way that the lives of those serving in the military are any less valuable than those they defend. The fact that we would be so vastly underdefended due to the arrogance of our people. In effect we are putting those willing to sacrifice their lives in even more danger should a potential threat be realised and that is highly immoral.

It is the responsibility of all peoples to defend the land within which they reside and so conscription for the purpose of defensive wars would not be as gross an abuse on personal liberty as you make it out to be.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
In that case why do we pay our active military if it's all just a hypothetical threat?
I don't know, I'm not the government. Our army is generally only involved in peace keeping/mediating/shit like Iraq/rebuilding shithole countries after they get obliterated by waves/natural disasters. As far as 'defending' or any preemptive attacking, they don't. So I don't know why.

If it's because there is truly a possibility of war then there is no way that the lives of those serving in the military are any less valuable than those they defend. The fact that we would be so vastly underdefended due to the arrogance of our people.
Where are you all getting it from that if we came under immediate threat tomorrow, nobody would sign up for the war. Do you think conscripting people into the Army is going to make them any more willing to fight? If ANYTHING, they're just going to pose liability for those who do want to fight.

It is the responsibility of all peoples to defend the land within which they reside
No it isn't :confused:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In that case why do we pay our active military if it's all just a hypothetical threat?
yeah because currently the military just sit around twiddling their thumbs, waiting for Australia to be attacked.

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
lol jaylee

i would trust the defence of thise country to 8yr old lebs before i trusted you with it

yet

you doubt your peers

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't know, I'm not the government. Our army is generally only involved in peace keeping/mediating/shit like Iraq/rebuilding shithole countries after they get obliterated by waves/natural disasters. As far as 'defending' or any preemptive attacking, they don't. So I don't know why.
katie I'm going to explain this fully so that you might understand as I do the necessity of such a conscription as I outlined (one which exists solely for defensive wars).

We have a military because we do not exist as a sole entity on this planet. There are other countries which will not always agree with us and will on some occasions have conflicting self interests with us. When that is the case diplomacy where possible will occur and we will attempt to negotiate. In the event that we can not come to an agreement there will be other measures taken to ensure that either a compromise is reached or one of the self interests will be enacted over the other.

There are several ways this can occur and in modern times this will be a combination of diplomatic manouevering, trade embargos and economic sanctions which will act as a measure of which country has the ability to sway the other in order to ensure their self interests are enacted.

In the event that none of these measures are effective there is a third option. That option is the use of military force. Now I find wars of aggression to be abhorrent and nobody should have to lay their lives on the line for something so ridiculous. However to some the concept of aggressive war is not at all out of the question and is threatened constantly. (namely the countries which we have been aligned with since before WWII the United Kingdom and the United States of America)

As that is the case each country regardless of whether or not a current threat exists must have a military to defend itself in the event that relations between another entity degrade to a point of open warfare.

Now considering that we must have a military (even the swedes and the dutch have far greater numbers of active military than we) we must have one that is worthy of the name. We must be able to defend our country in the event that it would come under attack by a foreign entity who would wish to neglect our self interests and forcibly impose their will on us by use of force destroying our livelihoods in the process.

As such it is our obligation to best be able to defend our livelihoods in the event that it might be threatened in such a way.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
If shit ever got so bad as to require conscription, recruiting a bunch of average Joes would do jack shit.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
And furtehrmore, why not just get America to help us out?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
If you feel so strongly Sam, why aren't you in the military already?
1) We've been going around fighting wars of conquest which do not concern us.
2) Not fit enough. :mad1:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
And furtehrmore, why not just get America to help us out?
Because they're doing the shit stirring and are probably the most hated country in the world. Also we should be capable of defending ourselves atleast to some extent we can't rely on America for our defense.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Because they're doing the shit stirring and are probably the most hated country in the world.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also we should be capable of defending ourselves atleast to some extent we can't rely on America for our defense.
Um we do have a military you do realise.

And if shit ever got so bad as to require more troops than we currently have, then I think it's pretty fucking reasonable to ask for some help from the best army in the world, because shit must have really hit the fan.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
SylvesterBr said:
And if shit ever god so bad as to require more troops than we currently have, then I think it's pretty fucking reasonable to ask for some help from the best army in the world, because shit must have really hit the fan.
If it ever got to a point where things were that bad they would probably be over stretched or might even be on opposing sides to us.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
If it ever got to a point where things were that bad they would probably be over stretched or might even be on opposing sides to us.
If it got to the point where the US over stretched, why the hell is any country going to give two shits about Australia? Why would they want to attack us?

And there's no one in the world who could beat the US, so if they're stretched, then their enemies would be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Furthermore, if America was opposing us, then we're fucked. Conscripting people isn't going to do shit.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
If it got to the point where the US over stretched, why the hell is any country going to give two shits about Australia? Why would they want to attack us?
Resources useful for winning war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)