Should eng. be a manditory subject? (1 Viewer)

sirfeathers

HSC
Short answer: no.

I have massive problems with the HSC English syllabus, even though I've being doing alright in it so far. I do Advanced and Extension 1 (dropping Extension 2= best decision I ever made) and my experience is that they reflect barely anything except the ability to memorise an essay, to be able to alter it superficially to answer the question, and to have the physical stamina to write 3500+ words legibly in 2 hours.

Of course the ability to understand and communicate effectively in the English language is an important skill. Of course the ability to create and critically evaluate arguments is an important skill. Of course. But there are many other subjects which test these general skills.

How many times will you have to write a feminist/Marxist/nihilist/whatever technical analysis in your life? How many times will you need to call on the wisdom of Imaginative Journeys to get you through life? Not many, I'd venture. English should be about improving your ability to think creatively and discerningly, allowing you to formulate your own views about the texts as you learn. But instead, we do the opposite. "BNW and Bladerunner place a significant emphasis on humanity's relationship with the wild." We are given a narrow window of discussion to squeeze the texts through, and must siphon our own opinions based on the pre-cut dictates of the HSC English rubric.

In any case, there are so many people cheating the system - people regurgitating 3rd or 4th hand reproductions of essays written by previous HSCers - that any record of comparative achievement in the subject means absolutely nothing. A very large number of the "best achievers" in our English cohort fall under this category, and they are pushing out some genuine hard workers from the good ranks. It is truly jading and truly disheartening.

In my opinion, the HSC should require students to pick at least one subject in a band of subjects testing similar skills eg. at least one from [English, Ancient History, Modern History], at least one from [Maths, Physics...] etc. But English full stop? Hell no.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
osamabanana said:
nooo english should not be a mandatory subject, basically it punishes people who aren't naturally good at english. In my career as an engineer I am never going to need english skills learn't in year 11 or 12. the ability to write and express yourself is learn't long before year 11. Everyone who leaves after year 10 seems to manage without learning how blade runner represents concepts of in the wild so why is it so necessary for us to learn it to undertake study that has nothing to do with english? the time for compulsorary learning is the junior school where most of the people that age attend. Senior school should be learning to prepare us for terrtiary study or whatever we wish to do after.
Hahaha it's funny because you have to present a few reports and thesis' during your Engineering degree.

You've spelt compulsory and tertiary as well.

HSC
i don't think it should be mandatory because you have studied it up until year 10 which should be a reasonable level. It obviously is for those who leave. It also disadvantages those in the hsc who are good at science/maths subjects and still have to do english which drags them down. It is a quite subjective subject and the exams only really test your ability to memorise and replicate, not write and understand. i am quite good at english but still can't stand it !

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
why is it that the "OMFGH8English" threads are always misspelled?

ShaunaJean

HSC
English shouldnt be compulsry.

Many people do not wish to do english, but others do.

English exams are usually crap, its just repeating a prepared essay and creative writing with a few 'unseen' questions.

English isn;t for everyone, so everyone shouldn't have to do it.

polly12

HSC
Think about it this was, how would the BOS look in terms of public relations if they said

Yeah umm well actually we decided that englshs like shouldn't be compulsory cause like um not all kids like um it.

The point of english is to analyse texts and their relation to society, its actually a pretty useful skill.

However I think its wrong to include it UAI marks, gives a pretty big advantage to those with a passion for the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)