• no

Votes: 79 53.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Of course it should be compulsory. It's necessary for both university and vocational education for you to have a piece of paper saying that you can read and write. English as it is, also aims to teach us the ability to communicate over several mediums and we need this for every and anything regardless of whether we become historians or mathematicians or carpenters. The major problem with english is that its forced to be part of your UAI...which doesnt have alot of rationale to it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
samuelblayden said:
well what are your opions
Well yes it should remain compulsary; your english ability merley serves to demonstrate the precise reasons why.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
of course it should. you actually do need English through your life (unlike most of maths)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Argonaut said:
When you spell "compulsory" as "compsory" or "composery" and "English" and "Enrish", then yes, it should be.
erm... somehow i think that was intentional :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
Argonaut said:
When you spell "compulsory" as "compsory" or "composery" and "English" and "Enrish", then yes, it should be.
as breaking said, it was intentional. no one is THAT stupid...

-Swifty-

B.Sc B.A usyd
HSC
Deus said:
Well yes it should remain compulsary; your english ability merley serves to demonstrate the precise reasons why.

lmao... get the fk to school

asscookie

dork.
HSC
After seeing some of the people on these forums, yes, it should be compulsory..

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Argonaut said:
Yes, it would be useful - if we actually studied English as opposed to Bullshit. I mean, how is our analysis of Institutions and the Individual Experience going to help in later life?
yeah, some of its crap, but that is the same for most classes. but there is more useful stuff in it than in maths.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
aint anything wrong with post modernism.

(oh besides the fact we learn nothing useful)

datAsianGuy

over school
HSC
PerfectByNature said:
of course it should. you actually do need English through your life
not even. The senior english course is all a load of crap. We all learnt how to spell what we need in life in Primary Scool and if we didn't, well then we quickly learnt in our first few years of High School. I look at it this way. English is an international language, it is spoken in nearlly every country on earth. All I need to do is to be able to speak this language to get a job anywhere world wide, especially in a non-english speaking country. For example, my english speaking, just spoken english can earn me US$250.00 an hour. YES!!! AN HOUR!!!! in Thailand. Just to teach and do surveys and some other crap. The hours aren't long and I can extend my weekend and still earn more than you pen pushers here. Yep, that's the way I see it.... I just gotta SPEAK IT!!!

The senior subject is useless and a waste of time, unless of course you're going to Uni or something and need to write essay's but we learn them in Junior school at our school anyway so me sitting in english is my biggest, fattest, most over-bloated, obeise waste of time and money

Thats all

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Deus said:
I reckon...
but you spelt compulsory wrong 2 :p

_stranger

HSC
N/A
english as a subject is rubbish but it makes life hard for those who can't put a sentence together and make it sound like good sense.

HSC
As much as I hate and wish I could drop english, I still think it should remain mandetory, to be honest its helped me write essays in other subjects, I realise that the essay I write about is the "area of study" or my "text", eg. in IT I struggled to write 3 pages in an 30min (report) but now I did 4-5 pages only because I sped up my writing thanks to english

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
1. the english course does not teach you how to write essays, either you learn that yourself by reading "study guides/text books" or you ask friends or teachers or tutors.
2. the english course should focus more on grammar, that's the most basic thing.
3. the english course should not be compulsory because it just plains sucks and is a waste of time, no kidding.

baby_pea

HSC
it should be compulsory but it shouldn't be counted in the calculation of your UAI
i mean, in every other subject you need to understand the question to answer
and if your answers don't make sense they mark you down
and there are also some people are saying there is 'too much' english in maths anyway

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
In my opinion:

1. English should be compulsory seeing as it is Australia and we don't want a group of illiterates populating the place.
2. Yes, it should count towards one's UAI because otherwise there'd be no incentive to do well and making it compulsory would then be pointless.
3. The current English course is bad imo and is far too mechanical. Apart from Ext 2, there's not much room for individual free expression while the remainder of the English courses are far too technical.
4. I'm trying to be as "unbiased" as possible...you can see by my sig that I do MX2 and only English (Advanced) + I'm asian :p

baby_pea

HSC
i can write a proper sentence. but really, do we need to know the underlying issues that are present in an obscure poem, cartoon, advertisement etc. you just really need to do the basics of english; when will a cleaner read a whole essay on the ethics of chemical impact on the environment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)