Should I be reading my prescribed texts in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

yanujw

HSC
More specifically, should I be reading my text for the common module in these upcoming holidays? Is it worth doing so or just focusing on other subjects?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It wouldn't hurt to have a brief read of your prescribed text for the Common Module during the holidays and possibly go through some analytical notes regarding this text (while prioritising more important subjects) as this can make analysing it quite a less demanding experience because you would've gained an idea of what it covers in terms of themes/ideas/issues raised in and relevant to the Common Module in advance. Consequently, you will be able to develop and enhance your ability to incorporate the text in your responses early on :)

may22

HSC
Worth it. In my opinion, at least. You’re generally not as pressed for time in the holidays as in the school term.
Plus if you read it in the holidays, you’ll have the chance to go and re-read it in the term if you want to understand it better. Better than scrambling to finish the last 50 pages the night before an assessment, quiz, etc

dasfas

HSC
Yes, undoubtedly.

This is one of the most important things to do during the holidays as English texts take a lot of time to internalise and it doesn't require much effort in terms of reading.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Better than scrambling to finish the last 50 pages the night before an assessment, quiz, etc
this very true. I read (like actually read) my common module text for the first time during summer holidays after term 1 of yr12, a week before task 1 was due and I didn't do well obviously. pls learn from your ancestors and do not do this, always a good idea to read/understand your texts early you will prevent many future mental breakdowns

DarkOperator618

HSC
this is the phase where the year group below begins to tryhard by reading ahead and that

then when the term starts, everyone starts freaking out ahha

More specifically, should I be reading my text for the common module in these upcoming holidays? Is it worth doing so or just focusing on other subjects?
but either way man, you do you. If u wanna do it then do it ig

nourished.

HSC
Alternatively, you could read essays from previous years to get the general gist. In essence, you would read highly condensed and succinct analyses of the texts. Reading the texts themselves is fine, but rarely would you get anything so mindblowing that hasn't already been analysed by someone else.

may22

HSC
idk if its universal but our schools doing crucible and i find it really interesting especially considering book context + author context :( im also just overall trying to hype it up for myself because i find that helps me in memorising stuff better lol idk
Ayyyy we’re doing the crucible too! I haven’t started reading it yet though, but from what I’ve heard it’s interesting

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yea it sucks but u have to force urself to do well for english, like u gotta lie to urself it would be fun and hype everything up so u don't die of boredom halfway into reading a text

icycledough

HSC
Hi I just wanted to know does every school prescribe a different text for each module?
Some schools will inevitably do the same texts for each module (as there are way more schools than texts). But within a school, each module has a different text. So in my HSC, I had John Keats' Bright Star for Mod A, King Henry IV for Mod B and these short poems for Mod C (forgot who they were by)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
good to know its not just me, my whole class actually reads the book so I feel like I'm cheating in that aspect
Work smarter not harder. You will eventually do so much studying of the text that you've practically read it by the time you finish the topic. Reading it yourself just offers a little edge in terms of niche ideas/quotes. But I mean it's really up to how you want to learn.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Work smarter not harder. You will eventually do so much studying of the text that you've practically read it by the time you finish the topic. Reading it yourself just offers a little edge in terms of niche ideas/quotes. But I mean it's really up to how you want to learn.
Yea I feel the same way, one of the english teachers I spoke to says u have to read the text like 3 times to do well and I tried at first but its a big ass text and I don't got the time or the energy for that. I'm just skimming over the text and getting a jist of the themes and ideas that would be important later on for analysis's.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
What's wurf lol? I searched on urban dictionary and it states "why you running fucker". You probably mean the second definition "worth it" lmao.
Imo. Definitely not worth it. There are leaked pdfs of them online if you can find a source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)