Should I bring my laptop to school? (1 Viewer)

danniomc

HSC
Hi,
I'm just about to start Year 11, and I have just bought a new laptop. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should bring it to school on a daily basis?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Only if you're not going to play games on it. Where's Uncle Rudd's laptop? :p

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Quite a fair few people in my school utilise their personal laptops for school. I don't really see a point, you'll need to hand write your HSC, so why spend two years typing notes / essays / responses and get into a 3 hour exam and be unable to compose an average length response?

However, if you prefer typing, due to handwriting ineligibility, ease to alter notes at later dates, professional formatted information, etc., then I'd advise you to use your laptop. Year 11's this year will be using Rudd's laptops anyway. But it does depend on your personal preference to learning + recording information. Just remember, a computer can be a much higher distraction than any book in a classroom, so if you do want to use it; make sure it isn't for gaming. ;)

You might also want to consider security. How do you feel carrying a laptop in your school bag? What's the chances of it getting stolen / broken / etc.?
I also find, teachers aren't big fans of them (well at my school anyway), purely because they can't see what you're doing, therefore you get a lot of "What are you doing?" or "We're having a class discussion, laptop screen closed."

danniomc

HSC
Thanks guys! At first I thought it would be a good idea, but then I realised that most people who brought laptops to school were getting easily distracted. Not only this but none of the highest academic achievers in my grade use laptops. Looks like I won't take it to school :tongue:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Good choice, if you are not required to then there is no point risking your laptop and your education. Plus handwriting your notes and essays will be good practice, especially considering the HSC is still handwritten.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
I'm just about to start Year 11, and I have just bought a new laptop. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should bring it to school on a daily basis?
i brought mine just so i could go on facebook in english.. LOL yeah it was a bad idea.. (reflects my fail)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
i brought mine just so i could go on facebook in english.. LOL yeah it was a bad idea.. (reflects my fail)
2010 HSC
English (Advanced) - 89/100
Business Studies - 91/100
Visual Arts - 92/100
Legal Studies - 95/100
Mathematics - 97/100
Mathematics Extension 1 - 48/ 50
2010 ATAR: 98.00

Wut?

danniomc

HSC
hahaha but also, i really don't want to break it. and considering it is a full size laptop, that could be a high possibility :S

Laughable

HSC
I rather steer clear of laptops, I like writing more than typing (especially notes).

jamesfirst

HSC
You think and concentrate better when you write

and also it's good practice for the HSC. You can't type in HSC after all

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't used my laptop at all at school yet, it's actually refreshing to go back to books and paper. Even though I could type my notes super fast on my laptop, I retain things better writing it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I do not have a laptop, the hinges broke in Term 1 2010, it still isn't back. If it is not necessary do not bring it, writing is good practice.

silentdreamer

HSC
I've barely used my laptop at school so far, no one actually has and they're more of a waste of space instead of useful. Plus, they're so heavy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)