should i consider a B economics? (1 Viewer)

mrkotter

I am considering doing economics next year is it worth considering? i enjoy economics at school (scoring about 89%) so i'm thinking this is probably a good option.

any help appreciated

baker182

HSC
mrkotter said:
I am considering doing economics next year is it worth considering? i enjoy economics at school (scoring about 89%) so i'm thinking this is probably a good option.

any help appreciated
no, unless your going to be in the top 5% of the people in your course at uni or you have work-life expereinece as a economists.

There is a high number of unemployed people after they complete an economics degree.

Mr Will

HSC
baker182 said:
no, unless your going to be in the top 5% of the people in your course at uni or you have work-life expereinece as a economists.

There is a high number of unemployed people after they complete an economics degree.
not sure where you get these 'facts' from but theyre not really accurate at all...probably because you dont actually understand what youre talking about
youre partially correct in saying that economics by itself isnt that worthwhile...for pretty much the same reason that any fool can get into business or commerce or the like.
newcastle economics honours graduates have an excellent record of getting well paid jobs, and they are in high demand.
similarly, those with combined degrees eg eco/business and such also have a much greater chance of getting a good job over those doing single degrees.
all that being said, what also counts is your marks, for example someone with a high distinction average in a single degree would probably be more likely to get a job than someone with a pass average in a combined degree.
whether to do economics or not really depends on what sort of job you want after uni

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i agree with both of you haha..there are soooooooo many people doing business/economics/whatever degrees so i can imagine it would be hard to get a job..esp. if you don't keep your grades up..that said, it depends what job you want i spose

baker182

HSC
Mr Will said:
not sure where you get these 'facts' from but theyre not really accurate at all...probably because you dont actually understand what youre talking about
youre partially correct in saying that economics by itself isnt that worthwhile...for pretty much the same reason that any fool can get into business or commerce or the like.
newcastle economics honours graduates have an excellent record of getting well paid jobs, and they are in high demand.
similarly, those with combined degrees eg eco/business and such also have a much greater chance of getting a good job over those doing single degrees.
all that being said, what also counts is your marks, for example someone with a high distinction average in a single degree would probably be more likely to get a job than someone with a pass average in a combined degree.
whether to do economics or not really depends on what sort of job you want after uni
Did I say i was quoting facts?. Also I noticed you talking about honours people in high demand, some students might not selected for that program :) .

ALso please refer to the high unemployment rate with this type of degree as stated in the Good Uni Guide. Have a look at job sites such as seek and see how many economics jobs are being offered.

Also are you calling people fools for doing a business/commerce degree? What type of degree are you doing?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Although I am not enrolled in a Bachelor of Economics I have done all first and second year Bachelor of Economics courses. If you are wanting to get into the trade side of Economics then I would recommend you do Finance instead but if you are looking more toward policy analysis then I would recommend Economics:).

Most of the content in most of the Economics subjects I have done have been very theoretical, boring and from what I can imagine, abstract and irrelevant. With that said, as Argonaut mentioned, I have heard that demands for Economist's is predicted to grow over the next one to two years:).

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
mrkotter said:
i enjoy economics at school (scoring about 89%) so i'm thinking this is probably a good option.
What are your maths skills like? I was averaging about 87% in high school economics, yet I’ve found 1st year econ courses quite challenging in the sense it does require good mathematics and graph skills. Before selecting economics just evaluate your own maths ability, as those skills are quite valuable in such a degree.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i have more trouble with the content haha
the maths/graphy side isn't so bad

hate economics :)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
em_516 said:
i have more trouble with the content haha
the maths/graphy side isn't so bad

hate economics :)
lol, but you got a pretty good mark in general maths if I remember correctly. You could have handled mathematics easily if you were bothered :p
I hadn't done maths since year 10, meaning I got absolutely slammed. Stupid economics

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Mr Will said:
pretty cocky to be talking about a HD average. sure anybody with a hd average would be in demand. cos its damned hard

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Craig said:
What are your maths skills like? I was averaging about 87% in high school economics, yet I’ve found 1st year econ courses quite challenging in the sense it does require good mathematics and graph skills. Before selecting economics just evaluate your own maths ability, as those skills are quite valuable in such a degree.
Hmm, before reading this I wouldn't have said Math skills would have been a problem. The Lecturers seem to brush over most mathematical concepts in my experience and I would have thought that year ten algebra is about all you needed but obviously if you have had trouble with it I must be wrong:p.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
SoCal said:
Hmm, before reading this I wouldn't have said Math skills would have been a problem. The Lecturers seem to brush over most mathematical concepts in my experience and I would have thought that year ten algebra is about all you needed but obviously if you have had trouble with it I must be wrong:p.
Naturally it comes down to the individual. I personally found it quite hard, yet one of my friends who hadn’t done maths since year 11 found it quite easy to remember algebra. With that said the tutor I had for microeconomics was very mathematics based, which made it much more difficult. Maths in my view is the type of thing you have to continually do to be able to remember, yet that's coming from someone who always despised and was troubled with maths.

UGFighter

HSC
If you take on a Warren Buffet approach to investment, economics will have almost nothing to do with your investment decisions.. and before you say day traders, or short term traders... find me some who have been around for 20 years and haven't lost their capital.

I'd say you're better off with a B. Business, Commerce or Finance personally (still a load of fucking bullshit theory, but that's academia for you). But, if you're going to do Economics you should at least combine it with something like others have said.

Read The Warren Buffet Way, great book.. that'll probably tell you how worthless economics is... what other uses 10 different theories on the same matter have I cant really see and hindsight is always 20/20 and everyone's an expert on explaining things after they've occured which there are no prizes for unfortunately.

If you're going to do Economics, I suggest that you really enjoy it and become passionate about it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)