Should I do a double degree? (1 Viewer)

helloimcool

HSC
I reached the ATAR cutoff for UNSW Actuarial Studies for Guaranteed Offer and I was looking at the double degree B Actuarial Studies/B Commerce which had the same GE cutoff. I was wondering if I should go for the double degree? Does anyone have any opinion on this, considering the difficulty of the Actuarial Studies course? Is it possible to balance out the workload?

(Also, the double degree wasn't in my orignial preferences. If I add it in, will I be able to receive that guaranteed offer?)

Thanks!

lastofus

HSC
I reached the ATAR cutoff for UNSW Actuarial Studies for Guaranteed Offer and I was looking at the double degree B Actuarial Studies/B Commerce which had the same GE cutoff. I was wondering if I should go for the double degree? Does anyone have any opinion on this, considering the difficulty of the Actuarial Studies course? Is it possible to balance out the workload?

(Also, the double degree wasn't in my orignial preferences. If I add it in, will I be able to receive that guaranteed offer?)

Thanks!
Congratulations! First of all, you should be very proud of yourself for achieving such a great ATAR. I'm not sure about the workload of Actuarial Studies but I think it is quite heavy. If you are genuinely interested in studying both Actuarial Studies and Commerce, I would say go for it. Just take into account whether or not you will be able to balance out the workload. However, since you were able to reach the cut-off, I'm sure that you have a good work ethic.

In terms of your preferences; if you add it in, you will receive the guaranteed offer as long as you have met or surpassed the guaranteed offer cut-off rank (check the UNSW website).

mreditor16

HSC
If you do the combined double degree program of actuarial studies and commerce, your workload per semester is exactly the same as the single actuarial studies degree. You still do four subjects per semester. It's the duration of your studies which increases (an extra year)

I would look at the other actuarial threads to learn more about the pros and cons of single actuarial degree vs double degree of actuarial with commerce

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You can always try and then if it's not working out, just graduate with the single degree.

helloimcool

HSC
If you do the combined double degree program of actuarial studies and commerce, your workload per semester is exactly the same as the single actuarial studies degree. You still do four subjects per semester. It's the duration of your studies which increases (an extra year)

I would look at the other actuarial threads to learn more about the pros and cons of single actuarial degree vs double degree of actuarial with commerce
I tried searching and couldn't find other threads? Just see a bunch of MACQ vs UNSW ones. But thanks! A bit confused but why would it be the same workload if I also have Commerce? Or are the units the same or something?

helloimcool

HSC
Congratulations! First of all, you should be very proud of yourself for achieving such a great ATAR. I'm not sure about the workload of Actuarial Studies but I think it is quite heavy. If you are genuinely interested in studying both Actuarial Studies and Commerce, I would say go for it. Just take into account whether or not you will be able to balance out the workload. However, since you were able to reach the cut-off, I'm sure that you have a good work ethic.

In terms of your preferences; if you add it in, you will receive the guaranteed offer as long as you have met or surpassed the guaranteed offer cut-off rank (check the UNSW website).
Thanks! I hope you also achieved your goal.

helloimcool

HSC
You can always try and then if it's not working out, just graduate with the single degree.
So during the University semesters I can choose to just drop off Commerce and go with only B Actuarial Studies?

mreditor16

HSC
I tried searching and couldn't find other threads? Just see a bunch of MACQ vs UNSW ones. But thanks! A bit confused but why would it be the same workload if I also have Commerce? Or are the units the same or something?
Here's an oversimplified explanation to try to get you to understand. Every single student studying at unsw, in all single and double degree undergraduate programs, are expected to do four subjects a semester. Now, the actuarial studies degree by itself is three years and the commerce degree by itself is three years. So you're probably wondering why the combined program is not six year. The main reason is the two degrees have a lot of overlapping subjects which means it only takes four years to complete all required subjects for actuarial studies AND commerce. Regardless you've always doing four subjects per semester, so your workload doesn't really increase with a double degree - it's the number of years you're stuck at uni which increases. That's it

Last edited:

helloimcool

HSC
Hi guys!
Sorry once again but I was changing UAC preferences and I realised B Actuarial Studies/ B ??? (??? = commerce, economics, adv maths) all had the same UAC code? ( 424350) Why is this?
Thanks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hi guys!
Sorry once again but I was changing UAC preferences and I realised B Actuarial Studies/ B ??? (??? = commerce, economics, adv maths) all had the same UAC code? ( 424350) Why is this?
Thanks.
I think you choose the combination after you receive an offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)