Should I do Advanced English or Standard? (1 Viewer)

Year10er

HSC
I know Standard English aligns horribly, but I am not good at English. I have failed all of my assessment tasks this year, and I don't even know most of the techniques eg. cliche, jargon, etc. And if I do Advanced, I'm worried everyone in Advanced will be too smart, and I'll end up coming in the bottom 10%.

What should I do?

ameyai

HSC
Do standard. I do advanced and regret it because is so difficult for me because I'm not very good at english. Everyone is telling me "Do Advanced it scales better" They're probably right but I struggle with it and have lost my motivation to study English. You'll feel more confident if you do standard and probably do better in exams, I don't know how well that will work out for you atar wise but you can still get a band 6.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Standard and Advanced scaled the same but align differently just for the note.

OP, I strongly recommend you consider at least doing Advanced merely because you have't actually experienced it yet and you have the luxury of dropping back to Standard if you find it too overwhelming for you. The difficulty of choosing Standard straight up is that in case you find it too easy for you, you may find it a bit more than difficult to move up to Advanced.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Being in standard doesn't make english any easier, it's just you'll be competing with people who couldn't give a rats ass.. majority of people who don't try will always pick standard thinking it's easier.

enoilgam

HSC
Doing standard will be the worst decision you ever make. The subject aligns poorly, with less than 5% of the state getting a band 5 and above in standard, with only 64/32,000 people getting a band 6 in the subject last year. Added to the fact that it is only marginally easier than advanced (only the text are more difficult, the questions you get on the test are about equal in difficulty). Standard is a poor subject to do, and unless your school forces you to do otherwise, you should stick with advanced. Standard is an ATAR killer in most circumstances. For more info check out this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=266420&page=1

OT, but I reakon the mods should create a thread warning people of the dangers of standard - the worst HSC subject to do.

Deep Blue

HSC
You could give up and say that you are hopeless at English, that you don't know anything and that you will probably fail. Or you could pick yourself up, do everything you can to improve your English and take Advanced and get the marks that one deserves from putting in effort.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Advanced fo sho' if you're going to improve otherwise, stick with standard if you really are that bad but either way you still have to improve

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard and advanced are pretty much the same, except advanced aligns better.
We do a common paper, ffs!
Advanced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Take Advanced and try it. It doesn't hurt to drop the subject after Year 11 or even before, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)