Should I do Art? (Yr10) (1 Viewer)

Empath

HSC
I'm a yr 10 student whos picking subjects and was thinking about doing art. What do u learn and do in art in yr 11 and 12? Is it hard? What type of people usually do art?

^___ShabS___^

i am good at art... but my major works sucks soooo bad... i'll prolly get 7/50..... art is not easy...dont think it sounds easy i'll do it.... thats what i thougth...!!

u learn about specific artists...depending on what ur teacher wants... like artists or groups of artists of the 20th century 21th or whatever ........ who they are.. how/why they made theri artworks...etc etc.........its very boring.....if ur not interested in art then.....DO NOT do art!!

if u r good at art..and i mean GOOD.. then do art if not... then DONT do it trust me... for me it has been the most stressfull subject... ... it has for a lot of people.... the major work takes a lot of ur time from studying for other stuff.......

bubble_tea

You don't necessarily need to be very good at art.. I remembered that I hated art so much when I was in year 7 - 8 because they made us do all this stupid stuff about ourselves..

But yeah, theres about 40% theory and 60% prac.. In year 11, you develop those art writing skills so don't let all those hsc papers scare you. Art gives you the choice for you to visually express yourself, and if you can then you might as well..

I don't know what kinds of people choose art. Half of my class is lazy and the other half is not really hard-working, but we put a bit of effort into our work..

Choctop

You need to be good at art, absolutely. I think most people can handle the theory part alright if they're also okay at English- because you get lots of essay practice there. All in all, do art if:

- You're good at writing.
- You can crap on about artists and their works.
- You're actually good at art. You might not even know if you are because in years 7-10 you get a lot of stupid things to do in art. But if you're good at photography or drawing or something of the sort or you always have good concepts- like you see ideas in your head or you daydream a lot- you should try art. You've pretty much got to have a bit of weirdness in you.

The last part really is true. It doesn't matter if you DO art or not, it matters that you do WELL. There's a few people in my art class who are a bit normal, a bit mediocre in their ideas, and that really shows. It's really the weird people who are doing well. So, final criteria?

- Be weird AND intelligent. A killer combination. :D

Empath

HSC
Well.. I see ideas in my head after like 5-10 minutes after i think of something, then when i start working on it, another better idea pops in. Hmm..

Er... I don't have any experience in photography, but i would really like to do it tho.. can u learn photography while doing the art subject at the same time?

EDIT: Does digital art (using photoshop, using 3-d art programs, etc.) count as art? Cause I'm pretty good at those.. i think...^^;

Last edited:

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
digital work counts as art, sure. and you can learn stuff as you go. i had to learn to use adobe illustrator from scratch for half of my major work. if you enjoy art at school, making/drawing stuff, just generally being creative, do it. you tend to do better at stuff you enjoy, i find.

(and i hated art in year 7. swore on my first day to drop it ASAP. it was my favourite (and best) subject in year 12, though)

Choctop

Oui, you can do Photography and Art at the same time, but keep in mind that:

1) Photography isn't a board endorsed (or whatever the phrasing is) subject, so it won't count as an actual subject towards your HSC.
2) If you do both in year 12, your Art major work cannot consist of simply photography- it's like you're sort of getting an unfair advantage, blah blah blah.

I've done photography in both of my year 11 artworks and I'm using it also this year for my BOW and I only really started photography at the beginning of year 11, but I began the subject Photography in year 12. And I've got pretty good marks too :D

PinkCupcake

HSC
Depends

Empath said:
Well.. I see ideas in my head after like 5-10 minutes after i think of something, then when i start working on it, another better idea pops in. Hmm..

Er... I don't have any experience in photography, but i would really like to do it tho.. can u learn photography while doing the art subject at the same time?

EDIT: Does digital art (using photoshop, using 3-d art programs, etc.) count as art? Cause I'm pretty good at those.. i think...^^;
Most people can get good in art if you're willing to put in time and effort because a BOW marker can tell the difference between a well planned artwork and quick 5 minute job. I'm doing digital art mixed with photography for my major artwork this year. Nothing wrong with it but be aware there's A LOT of competition. Heheh here's my photography lesuire of course

Empath

HSC
Wow.. ur photography works r pretty good! :D

Would the BOS show like images of people's past BOW anywhere on the net? I want to see like the standards that I would have to work up to for my BOW... ^^;

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i don't think so... but check out past artexpress catalogs. your school library or art department would probably have some.

notlongnow

I really enjoy art and you dont have to be really good at drawing or whatever to do it.. there are many options for the major work.. but the theory side is not easy.. so if you enjoy that too you should definately do it~ i love it

Jase

HSC
Empath said:
Lol, how come?
probably because some are so crap that you wonder how in the world they were chosen.
and some are so good that its insane and you wish you were that good.

I say do art. If you have any artistic talent at all in any possible form, you can nurture it and develop it into yr12. no problemo muchacho.
Art practice can be hard, but only if you slack off alot and leave stuff to the last minute. (like me)
Art theory is a little more subjective than you'd think, so if you're a great BS artist then you'll be fine. Of course, you will need alot of art knowledge but that grows on you over the two years. also, if you want to take up any new mediums its quite easy especially when you're still in highschool. you learn faster and better than anywhere else. (strangely enough)

funniboi

HSC
mz_bubbletea said:
I was never good at art, but i enjoyed it.. and now, i'm pretty good at it.. =]

finally. admitting you are good at art.

*phew

bubble_tea

ahahaha shaddap!!

do art! =] its good.. =] shows people you're creative and not just academic.. =] ya kno?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)