Should I do EXT 2 ENGLISH OR EXT 2 MATHS??? (1 Viewer)

Should I do MATHS EXT 2 or ENGLISH EXT 2?

• English EXT2

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • MATHS EXT2

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Should I do EXT 2 ENGLISH OR EXT 2 MATHS???

MATHS EXT2: The thing about ext 2 maths is I'm worried I might burn out. I studied so hard for the prelims and completely was burnt out the night before. The exam the next day was ridiculously easy. All the questions were cherry-picked. I was so disgusted. Utterly disgusted. I really like the ext 1 concepts but I'm worried teachers in yr12 may cherry-pick questions again that may screw me up. I'm worried I might spend all this time studying and then the exams doesn't have the questions I want.

ENGLISH EXT2: Both adv and ext teachers are polar opposites. I really want to do English ext 2 because I want to get better at creative writing. I feel like whenever I do a creative, I take on what my teacher says but it never translates to good marks. One advantage is that I'd get the Head Teacher of english who I heard can teach ext 1 extremely WELL in comparison to the other teachers. One disadvantage: Viva Voce.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
The only reason I'd do maths ext 2 is so I can drop english ext 1 which can give me early leaves.....

However given that I burnt out preparing for the maths ext 1 yearly and I focused and for once actually FOCUSED and ENJOYED the ext 1 english prelim...I'm in a total dilemma

I really like english but I'm really let down by my creative marks....I just simply don't know what I can do about them. I have a teacher tutor for it and I profoundly like analytical and critical essays but the level of feedback I receive back from my teachers is either airy-fairy or flat-slack

I really like maths but I'm really scared that I'll burnt out again

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Also can u tell me what viva voce is?

Aside from being a nerve-wracking presentation where you respond to questions?

How many teachers are asking you the questions?
Is it between you and teacher?
Is it between you and other english teachers or english ext 2 teachers only?
How long is the presentation?
What happens if you stumble? (I stumble with my words all the time) Do you lose marks?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The only reason I'd do maths ext 2 is so I can drop english ext 1 which can give me early leaves.....

However given that I burnt out preparing for the maths ext 1 yearly and I focused and for once actually FOCUSED and ENJOYED the ext 1 english prelim...I'm in a total dilemma

I really like english but I'm really let down by my creative marks....I just simply don't know what I can do about them. I have a teacher tutor for it and I profoundly like analytical and critical essays but the level of feedback I receive back from my teachers is either airy-fairy or flat-slack

I really like maths but I'm really scared that I'll burnt out again
If you burned out preparing for Yr MX1 Yearly, you have to find out if you are cut out for it and are approaching the subject correctly.
If you can make it to Epping, I'd be happy to check you out and advise you. No charge for this.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
My school has 'rules' about doing maths ext 2

You need to get 90 or above for adv and 75 or over for ext....I've already bombed-out term 1.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
If you burned out preparing for Yr MX1 Yearly, you have to find out if you are cut out for it and are approaching the subject correctly.
If you can make it to Epping, I'd be happy to check you out and advise you. No charge for this.
I think the problem with maths in general is that I overthink everything

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I wonder if they have rules about doing english ext 2....
Ofc, it's english, where 90% of your internal mark is determined by how much your teacher likes you.

On a more serious note, if you enjoy math and think you can cope with MX2, then I'd recommend doing MX2. English just involves too much bs-ing, and your mark is highly dependent on whoever's marking your essay. If I wanted to gamble, I'd rather take my chances with ozlotto.

Last edited:

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Ofc, it's english, where 90% of your internal mark is determined by how much your teacher likes you.

On a more serious note, if you enjoy math and think you can cope with MX2, then I'd recommend doing MX2. English just involves too much bs-ing, and your mark is highly dependent on whoever's marking your essay. If I wanted to gamble, I'd rather take my chances with ozlotto.

Thats true but most of the exams are shuffled around teachers to avoid bias

jimmy.chu232

HSC
The task specifies that you have to have a 'panel' of teachers, so it could be anywhere between 2-5. Usually, there are 2 teachers who are members of the panel (based on my friends' and my experience).
It depends on your school, but most likely it's just between you and your teachers.
Again, depends on your school, but most likely it will be the ext 2 teachers.
Presentation is between 15-20 minutes. You get some of the questions they'll ask you beforehand so you have a bit of preparation, but some are on the spot and are usually very simple (they ask these to clarify your work).
What happens if you stumble? (I stumble with my words all the time) Do you lose marks?
Unfortunately, yes. One of the marking criteria is 'presents highly developed responses that express complex ideas with clarity and precision.' So you need to articulate yourself quite well if you want to get in the highest range.

With regards to your creative writing, it's a difficult skill to master and English teachers often beat around the bush when giving feedback, etc. The only real way to improve creative writing is to practise and get good feedback to improve. Be familiar with language devices and all that jazz, as this will improve your writing heavily. (It's also especially important to have a fair level of creative writing as the new English syllabus with mod 3 may ask you to write an imaginative piece). If you want feedback on some of your written work, just send it through to me and I'll be more than happy to feedback. :)
do u have an email? just in case if I need to use your feedback as a last resort?

Also how do the timetables work for English EXT2?

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Is there a way I can find out if I'm cut for it?

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Yeah, I'll pm my email.

Timetables work depending on your school. It's a typical extension subject so you'll get the same amount of time as other extension subjects. Then again, some schools choose to run extra lessons on afternoons/mornings. It really depends.
I wonder how many students do ext 2?

Does your rank even matter if there are so few students??? Lets say if there are 4 students and you come fourth in the assessment task which means you can came last...does that scale your mark down???

jimmy.chu232

HSC
The task specifies that you have to have a 'panel' of teachers, so it could be anywhere between 2-5. Usually, there are 2 teachers who are members of the panel (based on my friends' and my experience).
It depends on your school, but most likely it's just between you and your teachers.
Again, depends on your school, but most likely it will be the ext 2 teachers.
Presentation is between 15-20 minutes. You get some of the questions they'll ask you beforehand so you have a bit of preparation, but some are on the spot and are usually very simple (they ask these to clarify your work).
Unfortunately, yes. One of the marking criteria is 'presents highly developed responses that express complex ideas with clarity and precision.' So you need to articulate yourself quite well if you want to get in the highest range.

With regards to your creative writing, it's a difficult skill to master and English teachers often beat around the bush when giving feedback, etc. The only real way to improve creative writing is to practise and get good feedback to improve. Be familiar with language devices and all that jazz, as this will improve your writing heavily. (It's also especially important to have a fair level of creative writing as the new English syllabus with mod 3 may ask you to write an imaginative piece). If you want feedback on some of your written work, just send it through to me and I'll be more than happy to feedback. :)

Also I hope the teachers arent picky about your english marks cos for maths ext 2.... you need to get 90 for adv and 75 for ext

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Again, depends on the school. You need to ask your teachers for the exact requirements, but obviously you need to demonstrate some capability of completing the course.
Also would you personally reccommend dropping a subject?

cos I do ext 1 maths, so thats 13 units if I do English Ext 2

jimmy.chu232

HSC
If you have a subject that you don't really want to do and are happy to drop it, then do it. It's better to focus your time on 11 units and do really well than do 13 to an average standard. If you don't want to drop anything, then don't, just ensure you can manage your time properly.
I'd probably think about dropping a subject after the trials perhaps

jimmy.chu232

HSC
If you have a subject that you don't really want to do and are happy to drop it, then do it. It's better to focus your time on 11 units and do really well than do 13 to an average standard. If you don't want to drop anything, then don't, just ensure you can manage your time properly.
Also can you do a discursive piece as your major work???

Cos I'm thinking about either to do a short story or a critical essay

Short story: As I said earlier I really want to improve on creative writing, I think the Head Teacher of English can really take me to a new level

Critical Essay: They are one of my greatest strengths. Again the head of english can take me to a new level

SO I really want to do something mixes both of these writing styles

jimmy.chu232

HSC
BTW do I need to create study timetable for ext 2 English????

Or just naturally work on it when I feel like it?

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Does anyone have any previous tips on how to get a Band 6 for English Ext2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)