Should I do Legal Studies? Questions & Answers (1 Viewer)

HSC
Last year, i scribed for a slower student in year 12 doing his HSC. I couldn't believe how simple the questions were. Of course, in multiple choice, i found words i didn't understand but that could all be learnt in two years of Legal Studies! .. which i'm not doing.

nrs1990

HSC
I'm in year 11 Legal Studies.

It is a very theory based subject. That can make it a dry subject, but also means that if you know the stuff, you should be fine with it... Unlike subjects, like English, where the marking is more subjective.

Also worth noting is that it's one of the subjects that's more relevent to the real world. When you come out of school, you won't use parabolas, or need to be able to analyse a text, unless you go for a career in that area. The legal system actually affects us, and is a useful thing to know about.

Subject from 9/10 I find it most like is History. Quite a few things from Australian history come up in legal studies.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or anything, I'm only two terms through year 11. Don't know what the rest of the course is like.

electrriiic

HSC
Legal is a very interesting topic but its quite hard. If your going to choose this subject, application, study, and constantly being in tune with media reports and so on is required. Good luck!

emdrinan

HSC
ha women topic is actually rather boring... however year 12 crime topic is great!! probably one of the only assessment tasks ive ever enjoyed!! my electives: consumer and workplace

theyre alright i suppose a little bland but its good cause even if you dont want to do anything legal after school youll know legal info on every day stuff- returning products or whatever not that thats everyday but example yeah ha ha

for those who chose legal: YAY!! just put up with women topic and try and learn something ha ha it really helps next year, especially the terms etc, i never figured out the individual and society chapter but i think thats just cause i was bored

GOOD LUCK!!

emilybradstreet

HSC
Hi everybody this is like my first post here!

Um i was just wondering would legal studies help us for university law. I don't think i want to do law (not sure yet, english is my least favourite subject and i hear it's a lotta reading kind of) but i'm pretty interested with some things in legal studies so yeah wouldn't mind it. :s

Because at school we were told that most of the best law students were those that didn't do legal studies, like it was meant to be NOTHING compared to uni law.

I don't know haha i can't drop legal studies anywho as i have 11 units now (eng, bio, ancient, french ext and of course legal) but i don't want it to be something i can never use too. But is it true that legal studies is the baby version of LLB (uni law)?

Oh well anyway i don't mind the women topic actually! It's crime that looks hard !?!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
What you study in legal studies gives you a slight advantage but only for the first few weeks in the introductory law subject, after that you're at the same level as everyone else.

Law at uni is very different, you go a lot faster and learn everything in much more detail. Legal studies is the very basics and its very simplified.

emi211

HSC
I wouldnt do it, especially if u have a crappy teacher like me who dictates ourt notes off the top of her head and insists she "knows it"coz she worked as a lawyer in the time of the dinosaurs. i been teachin myself from the sylabus n the section i tought mysief was the only section i passed in the prelim exam. I would STRONGLY RECCOMEND that anyone wanting to do it asks around n makes sure they'l get a good teacher, coz if you dont failure is imminent Apart from that its good if you can do stuff like remember specific dates and rote learn sections of the constitution...its not one of those subjects you can make up like a humanities subject. U have to know what your talking about

goddess09

HSC
I did legal studies for my hsc.. and i agree.. it is one of the most rewarding subjects, its worth it at the end of the day..!

Well in year 11, my assessments involved:

1) court visit- then an in class essay..!
2) half yearly
3) women essay
4)yearly!

In yr 12.. i did..

1) Crime speech- 5 minutes
2) Half yearly
3) A nine month media file on all the topics covered- Human Rights/Law and Society, Crime, Family and Workplace
4) Family Essay
5) Yearly
6) Trial HSC..

If you are a yr 10 student or even yr 11 student thinking whether or not legal is good or not.. i say go 4 it, its really one of the best courses available for you to do in the hsc..!

HSC
wow thats really informative! good work!
we did our speech on a crime in term 4, in which i came 2nd so i was very happy :D
i know we have that essay coming up :S

XPac2

HSC
1500 words? wow, you guys had it easier than we did...

i just handed in a 2300 word essay on safety in the workplace with "extensive" evidence. i.e. no plagurising from the textbook.

Oh, don't forget to tell people how utterly boring the Women topic is in year 11 :) but it's okay, the crime topic in year 12 almosts makes up for the entire of year 11 crappiness.
We studied both women and Aboriginals. We have so far studied Aboriginals every year since like year 5. Getting boring.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Haha anyone else? I'm thinking about dropping it.

HSC
Thanks tonnes for the information on Legal Studies! I'm in year 10 and about the pick my subjects. I've got 1 more 2 unit to pick and pretty much narrowed it down to three subjects - Legal Studies being one of them. Definately still considering it :)

Kowther

HSC
Thanks so much for this thread. It's useful, also yeah we had the exact same year 11 assignments. Except for the court case one, we actually went to the court and observed part of the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)