• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I do something about this... (1 Viewer)

christian_j

HSC
Hi,
My SDD teacher is a complete dick. I'm coming first in my class and in the trial I got 38%. He marks us extremely hard, (i.e he gives out 1/8th of marks) and never taught us any actual programming. Put an algorithm in front of me and I will barely understand it. He basically made us answer theory questions from the textbook all year. I think all up we would have spent 20 hours on computers.
We only learned QBASIC, and had to do our major programs in it. He didn't teach us VB because he doesn't know it. I know all the theory, but the tests focus more on algorithm sorting and stuff.
Is there anything we can do about this? Even if we do he has some of us by the balls, because technically some of us didn't finish the I.T course.
Any advice?

neuro_logik

HSC
Take your SDD teacher hostage!, jk

Just study hard, do past papers and hope for the best, thats what most of us do. Algorithms are just applications of you programming skills/analysis skills, you cant learn that overnight but still there is no hurt in trying! and also searching and sorting is straight forward, look at fatmuscle's notes in the resource section, he has a good explination of the sorting techniques.

christian_j

HSC
Thanx for the advice.... I'll see what I can do with those notes. ( Our teacher also didn't understand sorting so we weren't really taught it)

jesterofenglish

HSC
N/A
the optimist

Let's put a spin on this gruesome situation,

1. He is a hard marker, this means your ego hasn't been inflated to massive proportions, meaning you can still fit through doors and your HSC mark won't be a shocking disappointment.

2. The exam is hard copy, and about 80% is based on theory work.

3. There is no need to actually 'know' any particular language apparently, just as long as u can read algorithm and code fragments.

Suggestions:

1. Heard of D.I.Y Softie? It's very similar to DIY IPT which is what I have been doing since of brilliant IPT teacher up and left us term3.

2. Do you know where he lives? Maybe you could do some redecorating with a couple dozen eggs and toliet paper . . . (I'm joking! do not hold me liable for anything that may come from this)

Just remember, it's almost over.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
argh prosecution = scary

i clicked cancel

sunny

meh.
HSC
jesterofenglish said:
2. The exam is hard copy, and about 80% is based on theory work.
SDD is meant to be theory work. Many get the wrong impression its all about sitting in front of a computer coding.

jesterofenglish said:
3. There is no need to actually 'know' any particular language apparently, just as long as u can read algorithm and code fragments.
He's right. The syllabus does not specify any specific language to learn. Learning a particular language only helps in doing your major project.

smallcattle

HSC
sunny said:
He's right. The syllabus does not specify any specific language to learn. Learning a particular language only helps in doing your major project.
but one of the question in my trial asked to write a section of code using prolog, which we never learnt before...

menty

HSC
smallcattle said:
hey how is it able to get the databases
i think it jsut uses the yellowpages/whitepages DB. U can key in a name/number and find out where they live lol.

it even gives latitude and longditude of their house so u can set a homing nuke lol...

sewabunni

HSC
Evolution of Programming Lang.

Hey
This isn't really related to much of this thread... BUT....
I hope someone can help me here...
I know about recursion, i know why it is used and when it is used. My problem only lies when i have to recognise it in a piece of code. I just can't see where the function is calling itself.
The only language i know is Visual Basic.. and that is much simpler than recursive languages.
Any idea or hints that can help me know when recursion is taking place??

neuro_logik

HSC
smallcattle said:
but one of the question in my trial asked to write a section of code using prolog, which we never learnt before...
You are supposed to analyse the syntax of the code given to you and form a statement/subroutine/module/etc based on the example of code given.
BTW what trial paper was this? CSSA? Indep?

sunny

meh.
HSC
sewabunni said:
Hey
This isn't really related to much of this thread... BUT....
I hope someone can help me here...
I know about recursion, i know why it is used and when it is used. My problem only lies when i have to recognise it in a piece of code. I just can't see where the function is calling itself.
The only language i know is Visual Basic.. and that is much simpler than recursive languages.
Any idea or hints that can help me know when recursion is taking place??
When you see the function calls itself. ie, you see the function's name somewhere inside the function.

xeriphic

christian_j said:
Hi,
My SDD teacher is a complete dick. I'm coming first in my class and in the trial I got 38%. He marks us extremely hard, (i.e he gives out 1/8th of marks) and never taught us any actual programming. Put an algorithm in front of me and I will barely understand it. He basically made us answer theory questions from the textbook all year. I think all up we would have spent 20 hours on computers.
We only learned QBASIC, and had to do our major programs in it. He didn't teach us VB because he doesn't know it. I know all the theory, but the tests focus more on algorithm sorting and stuff.
Is there anything we can do about this? Even if we do he has some of us by the balls, because technically some of us didn't finish the I.T course.
Any advice?
what you mean after that trial mark your still first ??

xeriphic

our teacher lets us type our notes on the computers, so he teaches and we use word to record his what he says or writes

christian_j

HSC
Yeah even with that trial mark I am still coming first.

hang on, you guys spent time on computers? We dont have computers.. it was all theory.. nothing else, no programming, what do you mean computers..
Whoa you've got it even worse, good luck to you! I also only have from now till the test to cram...

xeriphic

I'm seriously wondering what the sample answers were to your trials exam, hmm lol since none of you can provide the points to get the marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)