should i drop 3u maths? (1 Viewer)

can someone please give me advice on this area? like some advantages and disadvantages with keeping 3U maths. the question is should i drop down to 2u maths

im just managing it at the moment (about 50%-60%) but my rank is like bottom 10 out of around 30 students. im doing good in my other subjects and im committed to trying harder in this subject now but im not sure if its too late, with assessments worth 30% altogether gone. if i drop 3u maths then i have more time to focus on my other subjects but then i will have exactly 10units that count to my uai with no backup units

plz i know this kind of topic arises about frequently so any help is appreciated. thanks

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
How bout you do 3u, but study mostly for 2u, then you might fluke a good 3u result and still do as well as you would have in 2u alone

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yr 11: i kept it (class was pure HELL)

yr 12: i dropped it (i look forward to maths)

result..im averaging 95 in 2u and feel alot better.

but its up to you

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ if ur on year 11 keep it coz then u can drop it in yr12 if ur still not doing too good, but u would have covered like the 2u yr 12 course

simster4u

i'm in the same boat as you are.
but i have no choice but to do it.

the scalings are good for ext subjects.
if you're dedicated, then do it.
if its too much, excel in others.

hope i helped!

hatty

Banned
if you do 3unit, you will naturally become good at 2 unit.
besides, u only have 11 units, thats nothing, ur not exactly gonna get that much more free time.

with 3 unit, u dont need 2 study for 2 unit, its just embedded into the 3 u course already. so ur pretty much knocking of 2 subjects in 1 in a way

its not 2 late, use these holidays 2 get better. 11 units is nothing.
having exactly 10 units rite on the dot for the hsc is rather dangerous. sometimes things happen out of ur control, u gotta be prepared 2 have backup.

that would be true, but if i knock out 3U i will have like an extra 5 free periods. ok so thanks for your advices people, anyone got more advice/personal experiences?

also can someone tell what would happen if i do really good in my trials and the actual hsc exam, after i did really shit in my assessments and half yearlies

thanks for all your help peeps

vietbaybeh

i'm in the same position as u...
im coming 13th out of 17 ppl, with a mark of 75%, and i told the teacher i wanted to drop to 2u, but she said i should stay.

i kno 3u is alot of work for onli 1 extra unit, but apparently if u get in the top 50% of the state, it scales u pretty well.

it also depenz wat u wanna do at uni... coz even tho most uni courses say u onli need 2u maths, u can cope better if u do 3u. i'm getting killed in 3u, but at least there is that background knowledge that can help u later... and also the 3u helps alot with ur 2u... and u got 11units? jus keep it as a back up... u neva know... ive got 13units atm >.<

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by layzeee student
that would be true, but if i knock out 3U i will have like an extra 5 free periods. ok so thanks for your advices people, anyone got more advice/personal experiences?

also can someone tell what would happen if i do really good in my trials and the actual hsc exam, after i did really shit in my assessments and half yearlies

thanks for all your help peeps

You can still receive a pretty good mark actually if you ace your HSC exam. when i did 3u last year i barely passed my half yearlies and failed my trials yet i still ended up with a mark of 45/50 all thanks to getting 47/50 in the actual HSC.

Winston

HSC
But just make sure you know one thing, if your foundation for 2 Unit itself isn't as good, it's gonna have some problems for 3 Unit, because basically 3 Unit is just at most times extended topics of 2 Unit, and you'd obviously need a pretty nice grounding level in 2 Unit, do comprehend with most questions asked in 3 Unit.

so you peeps reckon i should keep it if im just managing it without studying?

thanks for all your advice people :)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I think its worth keeping 3U.
Some of the concepts used in 3u maths can be applied in 2u maths, and I thought 3u sharpened my maths skills, so it was beneficial to my 2u maths.

As someone mentioned earlier, having 10 units can be quite dangerous. If you don't too well for a subject, the one unit for 3U Maths can come in very handy.
I never enjoyed maths in Year 12, but I still kept 3U maths. It ended up being a good decision:
For the HSC last year I got
88 for 2u and 38/50 for 3u, My 3u mark ended up replacing one unit of my 2u maths for my UAI.
But yeah maybe a have a talk with your maths teacher and see what they think.

luckyduck

oh yeah! i am like at the same position as you are! i dont know what to do either. but i am doing bad in 3 u i want to drop but scared abt only having exactly 10 units... i just did my half yearlis too! i reakon the teacher will talk to me as well about dropping it!
ohh! i donno what to do! everything is soo stressing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)