Should I drop a subject (1 Viewer)

ethancooler996

HSC
Hey guys,

I am considering whether to drop history extension. I still cannot decide because I have technically finished the course, although I do not feel confident at all with the content and do not feel confident doing the exam. I feel like spending the time really concentrating on 10 units would be better than the time spent for this one unit subject. I did not do well in my trials.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
From this information, it appears that dropping History Extension would be the right decision. While keeping it may still not impact your ATAR since your other 10 units (i.e. excluding History Extension) would instead count towards your ATAR due to superior performance compared to History Extension, it would probably be difficult to justify a decision like this, especially at this particular point in time.

If you are certain that you are not able to improve in this subject (whether it is due to your lack of confidence in the content, a loss of interest in the subject and/or more simply because the time remaining until the History Extension HSC exam is not sufficient to improve), then the wise choice would be to drop it.

Essentially, the point of having 1 or more backup units is to halve or completely negate the effect that unexpected unfavourable performance in a particular subject would have on your ATAR if you were taking 10 units. In your case, however, History Extension is not beneficial to you, meaning that it would therefore constitute an unnecessary burden for you and that it would be irrational to keep a subject that is intended as a backup if favourable performance in that subject is unlikely. You would be better off focusing on your main 10 units.

I hope this helps! :D

ethancooler996

HSC
From this information, it appears that dropping History Extension would be the right decision. While keeping it may still not impact your ATAR since your other 10 units (i.e. excluding History Extension) would instead count towards your ATAR due to superior performance compared to History Extension, it would probably be difficult to justify a decision like this, especially at this particular point in time.

If you are certain that you are not able to improve in this subject (whether it is due to your lack of confidence in the content, a loss of interest in the subject and/or more simply because the time remaining until the History Extension HSC exam is not sufficient to improve), then the wise choice would be to drop it.

Essentially, the point of having 1 or more backup units is to halve or completely negate the effect that unexpected unfavourable performance in a particular subject would have on your ATAR if you were taking 10 units. In your case, however, History Extension is not beneficial to you, meaning that it would therefore constitute an unnecessary burden for you and that it would be irrational to keep a subject that is intended as a backup if favourable performance in that subject is unlikely. You would be better off focusing on your main 10 units.

I hope this helps! :D
it definitely did help, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)