Should I drop down to 11 units? (1 Viewer)

Natsume_13

HSC
Hey guys, so currently I'm doing the following subjects:

English Advanced
Maths + Maths Extension 1
Business Studies
Japanese
Physics
Studies of Religion (1 unit)

I only picked SOR because we were forced to if we wanted to do an extension subject, and I didn't want to do Ext 1 English. However, I don't exactly enjoy it. Also, I got a pretty low mark in it for Prelims (69%).
I want to drop it so I can get a few extra study periods, which I would mainly use to focus on English, since that was my worst subject in Prelims (65%). However, I'm not sure how my ATAR would be calculates with 11 units.
Should I drop down to 11 units?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
11 is meant to be the optimum level. If you really hate SOR then I see no point in keeping it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you perform better in maths extension (for example as it is 1 unit) then only half of your "worse" subject marks (of a 2 unit subject) is weighted towards the calculation of an ATAR.

RhythmKnight

HSC
Hey! If you do good in Ext 1 Maths, then UAC will take 1 unit of Ext 1 and take another 1 unit out of a 2 unit subject then merge them to make 2 units. So if you get 45/50 and the worst 2 unit subject you do is physics and get 80/100. It will combine to make 85/100 aggregate. The aggregate is not hsc mark. Your aggregate will be out of 500 since 100 x 5 (2 unit subjects) will equal 500.

luco0108

HSC
Yes, you should drop down to 11 units especially since you don't enjoy SOR. I was doing 12 units but I hated legal and it was my worst subject by far (10 marks lower than my next worst subject) so I dropped it after keeping it until the end of term 1. Best decision I ever made; used my study periods to focus on my harder subjects and it makes your HSC timetable much less daunting. If its going to be your worst subject anyway there is no point keeping it bc you will do the extra work but it went be counted. I think 11 is optimum since you still have a bit of room for error. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)