"should I drop extension 1 maths?" Help please before half yearly reports. (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I need help deciding if I should drop extension maths or not.

My current marks.
Term 1 exam: 55%, 35/70
Half yearly exam: 65%, 33/70

*My school is ranked roughly 200th.

As you can see I've basically stuffed up both my 3unit exams, I am currently doing 11 units and I was thinking if I dropped this subject (ext. Math) I will be able to concentrate and spend more time on my other subjects which I am not going bad (top 15).

Another reason is that due to my school's low rank we are so behind in terms of course work compared to other schools in extension maths. We still havent touched (inverse trig, physical world, polynomials, binomial) I hear from other schools that they have basically finished or near finished most of their course work and are already practicing past papers etc.....

At the moment 3 unit math is going to ruin my half yearly report (only subject out of top 15).

Please help me decide if it is still worth keeping. Thank You

SunnyScience

HSC
What kind of marks does your school score for 3U in the HSC each year?
And wth does your school have so many 3U students???? My school Is like 210~ and we only have 26, which is considered really big for us.

SunnyScience

HSC
And re: where we're up to. We have just under 2 topics left for 3U and starting last topic for 2U now.

king chopper

HSC
It will significantly help with your 2 unit knowledge for math as well

sghguos

HSC
N/A
And re: where we're up to. We have just under 2 topics left for 3U and starting last topic for 2U now.
I have no idea why we have so much people doing 3 unit (probably because most people at my school are asian)
We have like 4 major topics (inverse trig, physical world, binomial, integration by substitution, polynomials ) left for 3 unit and like 2 topics left for 2 unit (trig, physical).

SunnyScience

HSC
I'd acutually suggest you keep 3U. You really aren't doing that poorly. And besides, you still have 2 more assessment + trials (which are normally ~40%), so you have plenty of time to make your ground in terms of ranks.

As for where your school is in terms of topics, you will finish the course most likely on time (they'll probably end up using some 2U lessons). Although, I don't see why your school has to do polynomials now - that is a year 11 topic.

Meshy590

HSC
I have a similar problem. I am currently doing 12 units, and i am only getting about 75% in 3u...But several people have advised me not to drop it this late in the year- there are only a few months left now! I would say keep it, as it helps to have an extra unit as backup

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I'd acutually suggest you keep 3U. You really aren't doing that poorly. And besides, you still have 2 more assessment + trials (which are normally ~40%), so you have plenty of time to make your ground in terms of ranks.

As for where your school is in terms of topics, you will finish the course most likely on time (they'll probably end up using some 2U lessons). Although, I don't see why your school has to do polynomials now - that is a year 11 topic.
What rank for 3 unit should I be looking at to achieve a E4(band 6) for my school??, also its hard because 3 unit students are up against 4 unit students but 2 unit students dont need to compete with the 4 unit students.

Mr Slick

Banned
HSC
N/A
keep it
my mate never got above 20% for 3U, hez still doing it
as he say hez gna kill the externals

Skeptyks

HSC
What rank for 3 unit should I be looking at to achieve a E4(band 6) for my school??, also its hard because 3 unit students are up against 4 unit students but 2 unit students dont need to compete with the 4 unit students.
I don't know the answer to the first part but its kind of wrong to say that "its hard because 3 unit students are up against 4 unit students" as 4 unit students are just generally more capable at maths, I don't see any advantage. I'm also pretty sure that what you learn in 4 unit is not applicable in 3 unit, just like how 3 unit formulas are not allowed to be used in 2 unit exams.

SunnyScience

HSC
It's really quiet impossible to tell you this.
Find out how many people got an E4 last year, and this can give you some indication of what rank. Also, try and compare to see if your year are perhaps better (?) than the lasts. But, I would think ~15? But it really depends on how well your year (and you) do in the actual HSC.

Also, thanks for the rep :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I need help deciding if I should drop extension maths or not.

My current marks.
Term 1 exam: 55%, 35/70
Half yearly exam: 65%, 33/70

*My school is ranked roughly 200th.

As you can see I've basically stuffed up both my 3unit exams, I am currently doing 11 units and I was thinking if I dropped this subject (ext. Math) I will be able to concentrate and spend more time on my other subjects which I am not going bad (top 15).

Another reason is that due to my school's low rank we are so behind in terms of course work compared to other schools in extension maths. We still havent touched (inverse trig, physical world, polynomials, binomial) I hear from other schools that they have basically finished or near finished most of their course work and are already practicing past papers etc.....

At the moment 3 unit math is going to ruin my half yearly report (only subject out of top 15).

Please help me decide if it is still worth keeping. Thank You
If you drop now, you'll have 10 units - which is even more risky than 11.

You're not doing bad, you seem to like the subject - so keep it...

Timothy6340

HSC
i think that u should keep 3 unit maths as for me i think it helps me get a depear understanding of the 2 unit corse and allow u to get higher marks in 2unit

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop it and focus on 2U

jusydoodle

HSC
Depends. How are your rankings in 2u and 3u maths?

Your maths tests may be hard so don't be discouraged by those marks :p

unLimitieDx

HSC
I thinking keeping 3u would be a good idea as obviously it will also not just boost your 2u performance but also your atar if done decent 75+?

HSC
Well, I rekon drop if you think you will not be able to cope. It will relieve some pressure. I know im only in prelim but I just dropped for Extension 1 to 2U and finding that there doing something that we did early stages of last term which will definetley be a help to you since you would be way ahead of them and relearning the stuff you didn't understand fully and going at a slower pace. As long as you don't need Extension 1 in Uni I think dropping would be worthwhile..

mike12345678

HSC
I don't know the answer to the first part but its kind of wrong to say that "its hard because 3 unit students are up against 4 unit students" as 4 unit students are just generally more capable at maths, I don't see any advantage. I'm also pretty sure that what you learn in 4 unit is not applicable in 3 unit, just like how 3 unit formulas are not allowed to be used in 2 unit exams.

WHAT!! who said that??

my teachers have told us that we can use 3 unit formuals for 2u.

who to believe?

mylucky9

HSC
What kind of marks does your school score for 3U in the HSC each year?
And wth does your school have so many 3U students???? My school Is like 210~ and we only have 26, which is considered really big for us.
We have about that many students as well. Our preliminary year had up to 3 EXT1 classes until this year we're now left with 2 EXT1 classes. No joke, our grade is made up of nearly 300 students. Not really bright students either.... I know a few who had a terrible start with maths extension 1 and ended up being in General Maths. Our system sucks cause we have such an optimistic head teacher... Genius that man, but his hopes are too sky-high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)