Should I Drop Extension 2 Maths? (1 Viewer)

Bucknuckle

HSC
My subjects:

• Mathematics Extension 2
  • Economics
  • English Advanced
  • Business Studies
  • Software Design and Development

There is so much work involved in Extension 2, and I really don't want to continue with it. I got 68% in the first assessment task (15% in-class test) and I just did my half yearly yesterday and probably got roughly the same mark (out of the last 30 marks I think I would've got about 10). The half yearly is worth 20%. I really don't know if extension 2 is worth my effort. I have done ATAR calculators with what I would expect that I would get, and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference if I did just extension 1 or 2. I would like to do Actuarial Studies or Commerce/Finance, etc at UNSW, ANU, or MACQ. There were 5 people doing extension 2, but 2 have dropped, so now I will (almost definitely) be ranked 3/3.

What do you guys think I should do?

EDIT: I enjoy maths, but I feel that extension 2 is taking up the majority of my time and isn't leaving enough time for the other subjects. Also the conic proofs go right over my head.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I would reconsider actuarial studies if you are finding mathematics extension 2 too difficult.

Bucknuckle

HSC
Its not that I'm finding it too difficult, I just feel that it is taking away time from my other subjects.

melon39

HSC
ranks depend on what school you go to..
But yea, if you're thinking its too much work, you would of just better of doing 3u and ace it.
Thats what i chose to do- dropped ext2 so i could focus on my other subjects

funnytomato

HSC
I wonder how you predicted your marks to put into atar calculator

It would NOT be just your percentage mark from school assessments

Bucknuckle

HSC
So I got my half yearly back: I came 2nd out of 4. 1st: 70.5% 2nd (me): 70% 3rd: 57% (beat me last assessment) 4th: ?? (going to drop)

The teacher said that she set the test hard but it was only on complex numbers (I'm good at that) and graphs (also good at). The last two questions (harder 3 unit) i got 3/15 for both. We have started conics, but there was only one question in the exam on it, which I could barely answer and got 0 or 1 out of 3 or 4.

At universities that I am considering (ANU, UNSW, USYD, MACQ) extension 2 is not a requirement, but sometimes advantageous knowledge, for Actuarial, Commerce, Computer Science, and IT.

This is such a big decision... does anyone else have some input?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Try to get 1-on1 help, if you can afford it. Actuarial, from what I've heard, will be very challenging.

Bucknuckle

HSC
So I know this a bit late, but I'll update everyone with what I have decided upon.

I have decided to keep Extension 2 after having a chat to guy who did Actuarial Studies. He confirmed everything that you guys said about how the course is hard yet rewarding and advised me to keep with Extension 2.

I got my half yearlies back and I came 2nd out of 3 by half a mark. I have continued the course and found polynomials to be pretty easy and the very start of integration to be not too bad.

Also, is it the mathematical concepts or just the problem solving ability derived from the Extension 2 course that is beneficial for Uni and Actuarial?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Also, is it the mathematical concepts or just the problem solving ability derived from the Extension 2 course that is beneficial for Uni and Actuarial?
From what I've heard, the maths/mathematical statistics in Actuarial are very demanding. So it is not a case of one or the other - it is both.

In the meantime, since you've decided to keep MX2 - just don't think too far ahead. Just spend your precious time trying to do well in your MX2 and your other subjects. The better you do in your HSC, the wider the door is open to you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)