Should I drop Math Advance? (1 Viewer)

Kartoffelei

HSC
some background info: I'm y11 doing SOR2, Modern History, Math Advance, English Advance, Legal Studies and Economics
I really want to enter USYD Bachelor of Economics/Law, but it requires Math Advance band 4 prerequisite.
Currently, I'm failing in math. I got 44% in last task and I don't think I'm fit for math advance.

So, should I drop to standard and then drop it altogether in y12?

nsw..wollongong

HSC
but how r u gonna do bach. eco/law without math?

i reckon u should wait it out and try ur best to excel in math, one task doesn't define you. ur still in yr 11, u have a lot of time to pull urself up if ur rlly dedicated. if u just don't wanna do it altogether (which means u cant do bach. eco/law), then drop ig

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
some background info: I'm y11 doing SOR2, Modern History, Math Advance, English Advance, Legal Studies and Economics
I really want to enter USYD Bachelor of Economics/Law, but it requires Math Advance band 4 prerequisite.
Currently, I'm failing in math. I got 44% in last task and I don't think I'm fit for math advance.

So, should I drop to standard and then drop it altogether in y12?
You gotta realise that eventually you have to return to that level of mathematics and possibly go beyond it (linear algebra, calculus, probability/stats [albeit very intro]) for a bit considering your taking economics however i doubt you'd be forced to study like a mathematician and take maths courses every term (assuming from degree handbook).

Ultimately I'll say its very possible for you to do that, AND if you feel like Maths Adv. will hold you back from getting a high ATAR i.e your time could be better distributed in your other subjects, then go ahead. Just know maybe in the holidays or some intermediary period you do have to brush up on maths.

(NOTE: I am in no way sure about what pre-requisite entails for this course, is it more of an "assumed knowledge" type of thing or you GOT to study adv and get b4 to enter. In UNSW it says assumed knowledge or expected which is basically a nicer way of saying do these subjects if you don't want to be behind) Someone in USYD can answer that.

If you think you can persevere maths if you just do things a little bit differently, possibly focus more on Adv., highly recommend to stick then.

carrotsss

HSC
(NOTE: I am in no way sure about what pre-requisite entails for this course, is it more of an "assumed knowledge" type of thing or you GOT to study adv and get b4 to enter. In UNSW it says assumed knowledge or expected which is basically a nicer way of saying do these subjects if you don't want to be behind) Someone in USYD can answer that.
The usyd maths prerequisite is actually a proper prerequisite, and if you don’t either get a b4 in maths or do the MOOC to catch up on it before uni, you can’t directly get into courses that require it

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A band 4 is a minimum HSC mark of 70. Your current level of performance in Mathematics Advanced appears to be below that level. Of course, while the mark that you received in your last task is an indicator of your level of performance, it does not solely reflect your ability and chances of achieving an HSC mark in the band 4 range. Other information, such as your current rank relative to your cohort, as well as your school rank can assist in pinpointing the direction that you are going in at this point in time more accurately, thereby assisting you in making a more informed decision.

Unlike other universities, which emphasise assumed knowledge, that is, taking a particular subject(s) is recommended (but not compulsory) for a particular degree, USyd does indeed set prerequisites for a number of its degrees, such as the minimum of a band 4 in Mathematics Advanced in your case. Based on this, if you choose to drop Mathematics Advanced (either to Mathematics Standard or completely), you will not be eligible to receive an offer to the Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Laws, even if you meet the ATAR requirement.

However, as carrotsss mentioned, you can still take the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), which is another way through which you can satisfy the maths prerequisite. This is essentially an online maths course that students take, after which they sit an exam called the post-MOOC exam. Ultimately, if a student's performance in this exam is sufficiently high, they will have satisfied the maths prerequisite.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)