Should I drop MX1? (1 Viewer)

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
hi all, i want to do bachelor of adv computing @ usyd, but the thing is, the assumed knowledge is MX1. currently, i’m in year 11 doinv MX1 but lowkey i don’t think i can mentally to do it, this is bc i am scared that i’m going to flop the subject bc i did 5.2/5.3 (a mix of 5.2 and 5.3, ig?) and i don’t really find it hard (yet) but i got recommended to do adv math by my math teacher last yr. it is really content heavy. but the thing is, the other me wants to try really hard to do well in MX1. the environment is challenging and i feel like im the odd one out in the class, since everyone else did 5.3.

even if i did wanna drop it, i don’t know if i can bc of my parents (asian parents haha)

thank you for reading my rant :angel:

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
It's only the start of the year so no don't drop it because you haven't even done an assessment yet, if you aren't happy about your performance by Term 2 or Term 3 then you can start reconsidering. But now? I'd say it's a bit too early.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You can still make it, if you have a reasonable aptitude for Maths. Since you were doing 5.2, it's just possible that you do not have an aptitude for maths. But if you have an reasonable aptitude for maths, you can be coached to improve yourself. But you must do it urgently. Your normal coaching centres would not be very helpful - you'll be overwhelmed, since you are currently behind. You need a personalised 1-on-1 help. If you can afford it, I may be the right person to help you. I will diagnose your weaknesses and remediate them.

Note: If you want to do Advanced Computing, you'll need a minimum of Ext 1 Maths. Otherwise, you're likely to struggle.

Last edited:

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
I think you should keep MX1 math for now, complete a couple assessments and see how you go. If you end up hating it or if you find it difficult, you can always drop it in Y12, but honestly if you stay on top of your work and you put in the effort, you'll be fine.

Don't worry about feeling you're the odd one out in your class, literally nothing transfers on content-wise from 5.3 Mathematics (except for polynomials), so you aren't at a disadvantage at all.

Also in regards to the assumed knowledge of MX1, I think you could still manage with Mathematics Advanced as it hasn't stated MX1 is a prerequisite (ie which is where a subject is compulsory for a degree).
thank you for the assurance, but the thing is, my extension teacher detests me, like emphasis on detest, i lowkey get humiliated by her in front of everyone lol. she keeps on telling me that i apparently do not know the basics, just because i made a few silly mistakes (understandable, i shouldn't have done it and checked my work), so she wants me to drop it. sooooooooo, i want to drop it, but i shouldn't risk it just because of a bad teacher. haha

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
Don't let your teacher demotivate you or convince you to drop, it's far too early for them to make a judgement like that (especially considering you haven't even done a single assessment yet), usually teachers start doing stuff like that in Y12. If you want, have a chat with your teacher in regards to preparing yourself for the course, how you can improve, how you should study, etc so they have confidence in you that you are willing to put in the effort to succeed.
thank you so much!! i know the reason why she thinks i’m unprepared, this is because i’m the only 5.2/5.3 student in the class, so she thinks i cannot cope with the subject, the rest of the class are 5.3 students from last year, so basically i’m the odd one out in the class. she always backhandedly tells the class this; “some of you i know cannot cope with this class, so it’s better to drop now”, but yeahhh hopefully i do well in these examinations to prove the teacher wrong

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Use that as motivation
destroy the whole (or most) of the class at exams
believe in urself
once u do that remind ur teacher she wanted u to drop math
only give her credit for motivating u by demoralising u

ps. no teacher should ever be humiliating their students especially in front of the whole class so maybe do smth about that idk how bad the situation is

Last edited:

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
thank you so much!! i know the reason why she thinks i’m unprepared, this is because i’m the only 5.2/5.3 student in the class, so she thinks i cannot cope with the subject, the rest of the class are 5.3 students from last year, so basically i’m the odd one out in the class. she always backhandedly tells the class this; “some of you i know cannot cope with this class, so it’s better to drop now”, but yeahhh hopefully i do well in these examinations to prove the teacher wrong
What demented teacher are you dealing w here?

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
This is honestly unacceptable man. If you mind your own business, she has no right to pull you out in front of the class to bully you.
Just do your best and prove her wrong!
thank you so much :)

carrotsss

HSC
thank you for the assurance, but the thing is, my extension teacher detests me, like emphasis on detest, i lowkey get humiliated by her in front of everyone lol. she keeps on telling me that i apparently do not know the basics, just because i made a few silly mistakes (understandable, i shouldn't have done it and checked my work), so she wants me to drop it. sooooooooo, i want to drop it, but i shouldn't risk it just because of a bad teacher. haha
Tbh do it and do well just to spite her

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
guys she loves me now and i proved her wrong WOOOHOOOO i love math so much now its crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)