Should I drop my 12th unit??? (1 Viewer)

Doukasa

HSC
Hi everyone,

I’m just started year 12 with 12 units (end adv, math adv, math ext 1, legal, business, music 2 and music ext) and am thinking of dropping music extension. My question is probably more directed at music students but anyway.

I currently do music performance elective within music 2 and then do musicology for music extension. My problem is, is that I am expected to practise an hour everyday for the performance side ONTOP OF ALL THE REST OF MY STUDIES :(. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing the piano and performing but I just feel like it’s too much of a sacrifice. I’m considering to drop music extension and do musicology in music 2. This will mean that my essay won’t be as extensive (3000 to 1500 words) and that I will only have one piece to perform instead of three.

My only concern is that 12 units gave me that little bit of flexibility of dropping a subject down the road if I stuff up, but 11 units won’t (and I’m defiantly not dropping math extension).

Does anyone have any advice if you are either doing 11 units or music 2 musicology, I would just like multiple perspectives on this before I make my decision.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,

I’m just started year 12 with 12 units (end adv, math adv, math ext 1, legal, business, music 2 and music ext) and am thinking of dropping music extension. My question is probably more directed at music students but anyway.

I currently do music performance elective within music 2 and then do musicology for music extension. My problem is, is that I am expected to practise an hour everyday for the performance side ONTOP OF ALL THE REST OF MY STUDIES :(. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing the piano and performing but I just feel like it’s too much of a sacrifice. I’m considering to drop music extension and do musicology in music 2. This will mean that my essay won’t be as extensive (3000 to 1500 words) and that I will only have one piece to perform instead of three.

My only concern is that 12 units gave me that little bit of flexibility of dropping a subject down the road if I stuff up, but 11 units won’t (and I’m defiantly not dropping math extension).

Does anyone have any advice if you are either doing 11 units or music 2 musicology, I would just like multiple perspectives on this before I make my decision.

I had 12 units in year 11 but I knew that I would 100% do well in my other 10 units or at least better than I would in IPT so I never studied for it and focused on my other subjects. It depends on YOUR confidence in that can you definitely do better in your other subjects.

Doukasa

HSC
I had 12 units in year 11 but I knew that I would 100% do well in my other 10 units or at least better than I would in IPT so I never studied for it and focused on my other subjects. It depends on YOUR confidence in that can you definitely do better in your other subjects.
Yeah, I initially was going to keep all 12 to see how my legal results were but they turned out surprisingly good. So I think I’m more confident in the rest of my subjects now.

cchan334

HSC
Oh gosh 2 extension subjects seems like a lot. Normally most people with 12 units have 6 assessment tasks, but as you do 2 units of ext subjects you have 7. As you do 12 units you already have less time to allocate on each subjects than those that do 10 units. It seems like music extension is a lot of work and if its requiring at least 1 hour every single day plus extra time for assessment tasks it really seems to be a little too much. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you want to keep it or drop it, but keep in mind you are going to be spending less time on each subject, and as a consequence, your marks might be lower due to this. For ext 1 math, it is counted as 1 unit only, and in the case of your worse subject, half of that mark is replaced by your ext 1 mark. I think that's the standard protocol for all 1 unit extension subjects. Anyway just remember you can drop a subject any time - however you can't pick it up again once you drop it. So if you do end up dropping make sure not to regret it!

Doukasa

HSC
Oh gosh 2 extension subjects seems like a lot. Normally most people with 12 units have 6 assessment tasks, but as you do 2 units of ext subjects you have 7. As you do 12 units you already have less time to allocate on each subjects than those that do 10 units. It seems like music extension is a lot of work and if its requiring at least 1 hour every single day plus extra time for assessment tasks it really seems to be a little too much. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you want to keep it or drop it, but keep in mind you are going to be spending less time on each subject, and as a consequence, your marks might be lower due to this. For ext 1 math, it is counted as 1 unit only, and in the case of your worse subject, half of that mark is replaced by your ext 1 mark. I think that's the standard protocol for all 1 unit extension subjects. Anyway just remember you can drop a subject any time - however you can't pick it up again once you drop it. So if you do end up dropping make sure not to regret it!
Yeah ok. Actually thanks so much that helps me heaps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)