Should I Drop My Maths Advanced? Please Give Advice. (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
I am able to drop it now - but i have to decide whether i want to or not.

You see, maths is my lowest subject and i get crappy marks e.g. assesment (1) = 69% (2) = 38 %

Whilst, say economics (1) 100% (2) 90% / chemistry (1) 93% (2) > 90% etc etc

ANd it wont count towards my UAI anyways ..... but i will have a CRAPPY mark for maths on my HSC card which will not look good for employers.

I only picked maths due to (1) i wanted to get a grasp of concepts to help my in UNI - done this as we are on our LAST topic. (2) i thought it was a prerequisite for pharmacy and/or medicine.

Maths is the only subject i hate at school - so boring and i dont understand well - i understand a bit. I get sooooo stressed out and upset due to maths.

So this is my question: Is maths a prerequisite for pharmacy / medicine - cause i have read it as assumed/recomended knowledge

And (2) do you advice me to drop maths now and i will be more stress free + focus on other subjects and possibly get better UAI? + no crappy marks to deal with.

However - if i do get to the interview stage in medicine - will it impress the judges if i drop? or on the other hand ... fail maths on HSC?

Please give advice!!!

I want/need a UAI of 91 .... but will settle between 85 --> 90

I am in Year 12. I don't know if i can drop to general ......

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
I think you should probably drop it, if it's not going to count towards your UAI anyway.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Depends, if your planning on studying Engineering and you need 2unit maths, keep it.

However, general maths requires a lot less effort, and if you do well doesn't scale to bad.

Ie last year 93 in GM = ~88 in 2U.

Lordsion

HSC
risole91 said:
Depends, if your planning on studying Engineering and you need 2unit maths, keep it.

However, general maths requires a lot less effort, and if you do well doesn't scale to bad.

Ie last year 93 in GM = ~88 in 2U.
Mmmmm .... i could probably go down to general .... but i may have to drop it all together .......

so i will be doing 10 units - which i do all good in.

But if i CAN, drop DOWn, then i will have to catch up on a year and a half of gneral maths. I am in year 12.

Chemistry and advanced english would be my next lowest. eco, bio and business are top.

cal-

Banned
HSC
just drop it, really obvious decision dude.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Maths is not a prerequisit for medicine/pharmacy it is assumed knowledge, which pretty much means that they assume that you know what is going on (and arent going to teach you those concepts). So considering that have already learnt most of the course you should be fine. And if you arent there is also bridging courses.

I think you are better off dropping maths all together than going down to general, however if you really want to you should be okay catching up because it is pretty much what you learnt in year 10. And if you get a band 5-6 in general it is much better than getting a band 2-3 in mathematics

Lordsion

HSC
midifile said:
Maths is not a prerequisit for medicine/pharmacy it is assumed knowledge, which pretty much means that they assume that you know what is going on (and arent going to teach you those concepts). So considering that have already learnt most of the course you should be fine. And if you arent there is also bridging courses.

I think you are better off dropping maths all together than going down to general, however if you really want to you should be okay catching up because it is pretty much what you learnt in year 10. And if you get a band 5-6 in general it is much better than getting a band 2-3 in mathematics
OK - and obviously, dropping maths - just to make sure- wont affect my HSC / UAI -- apart from the fact that it wont appear on my auctual HSC card?

cause i thought, i am better of doing advanced maths than no maths - even though i suck at it.

But if what i keep hearing is correct - that, it wont count anyways hence whether you have it or not wont affect your UAI etc - then i should drop it.

Like, only chemistry and english will be lowest - like in the 70 AT LEAST - more likely in mid 80's ...... whilst my other three subjects will be at least in 80's or 90's - so i am pretty sure maths wont count (cause i dont think any of my other subjects will get low like maths etc )

cal-

Banned
HSC
unless you suddenly see massive improvements and start getting 90+ in all the tests, it won't count, it probably wouldn't count anyway even if you did seeing ass you're already getting 90+ in everything else.

Lordsion

HSC
cal- said:
unless you suddenly see massive improvements and start getting 90+ in all the tests, it won't count, it probably wouldn't count anyway even if you did seeing ass you're already getting 90+ in everything else.

And one final question

When the trial HSC comes along, and i may get a principals recommendation for pharmacy ..... will the results (bad) in math’s be considered in my principals analyses of my school attitude, results etc ... even though it is still my lowest subject.

Cause if he does, then i may be screwed over for early recommendation..... due to crappy results in one subject ....
I read that trial HSC results are considered when applying for early entry through principals recommendation.

cal-

Banned
HSC
why would it be considered if you dropped it? i highly, highly doubt it.

Lordsion

HSC
cal- said:
why would it be considered if you dropped it? i highly, highly doubt it.

no no no, i mean if i still kept maths, THEN would it be considered in trial HSC results and hence affect my chances into pharmacy through early recommendation ? since the results will be, about 60 % etc = my lowest

cause if it will affect my chances - then i will try to drop it tomorrow!

i can drop maths through note processes from me,parents teachers blah blah - my maths teacher said it is still possible to drop maths this late during the HSC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)