Should I drop this subject? (1 Viewer)

stormz89

HSC
Should I drop this subject?
My year 11 exam results were 30% (I start year 12 next term)
I got 61% in 2 unit maths.
I'm coming first in both classes though
I do extension 1 after school on monday and thursday
I'm doing 13 units
I do - business studies, food tech, senior science, 3 unit maths, pdhpe and english
My career choice is to fly a helicopter for the army.

I believe that is all the factors you need to consider.

Thankyou in advance for your advice.

starrysky

HSC
You're doing thirteen units. They count your best ten units for the UAI, so essentially you're just putting a heavier load on yourself that doesn't have to be there. If you're doing badly in 3U, drop down. Because if you reflect on your results of Year 11, and find you haven't done well, there's pretty much no use in doing a subject that'll only drag you down when you could be doing 12 or 10 units and excelling at everything else, without that extra unit on top of your head.

HSC
yeah :eek:.

well, you're obviously struggling in three unit and you're not exactly cruising through two unit either. you don't need three unit for your career, it's not going to go towards your uai (unless you're going worse in everything else), you're better off putting your effort into getting two unit if a decent uai is going to help in your chosen field.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
starrysky said:
You're doing thirteen units. They count your best ten units for the UAI, so essentially you're just putting a heavier load on yourself that doesn't have to be there. If you're doing badly in 3U, drop down. Because if you reflect on your results of Year 11, and find you haven't done well, there's pretty much no use in doing a subject that'll only drag you down when you could be doing 12 or 10 units and excelling at everything else, without that extra unit on top of your head.
What he said.

Drop it. :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
But if he's coming first in both classes, should ranking be taken into consideration?

stormz89

HSC
Well thanks for that.
Also mind you, I am doing well in both subjects, I mean my understanding of it is very high but when it comes to the test my mind just can't process any of the work (The work in class is easy question, while the test questions are the like the half a page working out kind of questions which a little mistake will throw everything off)

But I will drop it, and drop food tech making it 10 units. Then I'm going to download HSC exam papers next week and start doing them comparing myself to band 5/6 people from that year to improve how well I do in exams.

ps I really do value all your fast replies.

stormz89

HSC
Kujah said:
But if he's coming first in both classes, should ranking be taken into consideration?
Mind you, I failed to mention that theres only 2 people in the class.
And the other one is far behind especially in 2 unit maths.
In 3 unit maths he comes late because he always forgets his book so he has to run home and get it.

starrysky

HSC
Kujah said:
No. If one does well in the subject in terms of understanding, but screws up constantly in assessments, then that doesn't reflect one's true ability. It also depends on the rank of the school; there are 600-odd schools in the state and if your school ranks down the bottom, chances are your internal assessment marks/ranks won't matter as much.

@stormz89 - Be sure that you're going to be able to perform excellently and consistently in your 10 units in the upcoming twelve months. I advocate having twelve units for something as a back-up in case you screw up in something, but ultimately it's your choice. But excellent strategy with the HSC papers. And best of luck with the next year. :)

stormz89

HSC
starrysky said:
@stormz89 - Be sure that you're going to be able to perform excellently and consistently in your 10 units in the upcoming twelve months. I advocate having twelve units for something as a back-up in case you screw up in something, but ultimately it's your choice. But excellent strategy with the HSC papers. And best of luck with the next year. :)
Thnks Starrysky
I will be doing 10 units because I'll also be dropping food tech, I hate that subject, the only reason I chose it is because it was either that or ancient history, construction, or visual arts. All 4 being really hard subjects so I chose the one which some of my friends are doing and I can cook. I only got 35% in the exam, then again no one got over 44%. The teacher doesn't know how to teach.

Thanks for all your advice, you have really helped. I realise that I don't need 3 unit maths in my career and even though it may look good in the HSC the amount of work will bring my other marks down, which it actually did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)