Should I drop tutoring? I really need some advice! (1 Viewer)

ThreeDots

HSC
Hiya, I'm in year 11 and I'm kind of screwed. I'm doing extension 1 maths, advanced English, chemistry, biology, economics and modern history.
So far, I'm not doing well. I'm atrocious with time management, and I procrastinate like there's no tomorrow when I'm stressed. I attend tutoring for math (twice a week), and it stresses me out so much. It's adds a lot of weight to my workload, and at this point, tutoring has become my number one priority. I can't complete my work for other subjects, so my rankings are all right in the middle except for chemistry and English. Math is my worst subject so far, and I'm planning to drop extension one maths (and biology) next year. Should I continue tutoring for maths? Or should I just improve my time management and just bear with it?
I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm struggling so much in maths, in advanced and extension. I'm not sure if I can study the contents myself. I'm aiming for a 95+ atar, and I enjoy every one of my subjects except for math and biology. Does anyone have any advice? Advice on self studying or time management would also be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
With maths tutoring twice a week, you'll have to ask yourself what's your innate maths aptitude? If you believe you do not have a head for maths, then you may wish to drop your Ext 1 Maths. But don't rush into doing this: think carefully if this is the right thing to do: if you have the innate ability to do MX1, but are having problems simply because of your poor studying habits, then this is an area you can do something about. One problem maybe, you can't tell if you have the aptitude for MX1 or not. You may need to ask your teacher or someone with the background to assess you.

I can understand your frustration and predicament.

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely agree with Drongoski. Your final decision will necessitate deep reflection. Your time management and procrastination struggles may be a reason for your doubts and struggle regarding your performance in maths.

You mentioned that you enjoy all your subjects with the exception of maths and Biology. Since you're currently doing 13 units, have you thought about dropping Biology and keeping Mathematics Extension? That'll surely give you more study time which you can use to study more and rectify the problems you are facing in maths instead of wasting it on a subject like Biology which you don't like.

All the best! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)