• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I get a motorbike? (1 Viewer)

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
My car is on it's way out. So I need some new wheels. I'm thinking a motorbike something small like a 250cc.

Post anything related to this. Stories, Types of bikes that are good for a novice (I ain't scared, I'm just new). If you think it's a good idea (why?), if you think it's a bad idea(Why?) Prices, models, hints etc. Questions?

I'm just gonna throw this up and see what happens.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
250cc is the max for learners, but it depends on the hp to weight ratio. I say get a bike, shitloads of fun. Just be careful because you'll probably get hit by a truck/car, and its gunna hurt like hell.

CieL

HSC
Isn't there a smaller one like a 150cc... but they don't go very fast heh ~100kmh was it?

And you gotta bear in mind that you can't carry passengers when you're on your Ls

Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha seem to be the mainstream brands.. price depends on whether you're deciding to buy brand new or 2nd hand

It's alright riding a bike.. not the safest option.. as long as you stay out of sticky situations it's alright...........

I personally wouldnt want a close friend/relative to ride one since i'll just get scared about what'll happen if they get into an accident.. especially since the motorbike doesn't have a safety cell, no airbags, no seatbelt.. all that.. and if you get smacked from whichever direction you just fly off.. or if you can hold on you go skidding sideways on a leg

But everything has its own dangers.. if you really need a set of wheels, yeah go ahead..

Dr_Doom

HSC
I've got the training form but I'm saving it for when I get my bike. Shouldn't be too long now :D

katy-g

HSC
My boyfriend recently bought a KTM... which is an like a dirt bike thing but can be ridden on the road as well... He loves it. He prefers riding to driving... I think it just depends on the person really.

Then again... At this time in your life, would it not be more conveinient to have a car? i mean, on a motorbike u can only really have two people.. and even then its difficult for two people to ride without the right equipment.

Sure get an offroad bike for the hell of it or whatever... but i think u should stick to four wheels. :D

CieL

HSC
katy-g said:
At this time in your life, would it not be more conveinient to have a car?
ahahha depends.

I was in peak hour traffic yesterday and the bikes just went weaving between cars.. but honestly, I everytime I see a bike weave, I just want to open my door and knock them out..

And also when lanes just open up, they're narrow and get bigger.. sometimes cars block you and you cant get through to the new lane.. but bikes can since they're what.. 30cm wide?

And also with uni parking.. (at my uni anyway) apparently bikes park for free.. and they have their own parking spots which are for bikes only.. and they only need a bit of space.. so yeah, that seems more convenient..

But some gay things are like..

It was peak hour at a shopping centre carkpark... car were just lining up the ramp.. motorbike was in front of me.. whilst cars were midway up the ramp, the bike had to be at the very bottom because
1. Their legs aren't long enough to hold them up on a slope
2. Bike is too heavy to keep upright
Hence I was jammed at the bottom of the fkn ramp when all the cars were at the top

Dr_Doom

HSC
Well if I had to choose I'd choose a car that can turn into a boat. They're awesome :eek:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Bikes can be allot of fun but you have to be really seriously responsible with them.

I wouldnt suggest getting a powerful bike, i wouldnt suggest a heavy bike. My dad crashed his bike a few years ago and it nearly killed him, it wasnt really his fault[swerved away from a car on the wrong side of the road and overcorected into the side of a bridge] but a head on in a bike = death, actualy most accidents on a bike = death, so you dont just have to be a good rider,you have to watch out for bad drivers cause they might be at fault, but u will be the dead one.

good point: spend less on petrol is a year than i do in a month
bad point: only 1 passenger and limited luggage

good point: traffic jams are a thiing of the past
bad point: an accident will fuckyou up

good point: FREEDOM!!!
bad point: comes at a price, you need helmet and decent leathers. This shit must be carried everywhere u go which can be inconvenient

good point: price, a high performace bike costs less than a shitbox car
bad point: easier to lose control, 2 wheels = bad when lose traction

things to consider: safety, protection from the weather, theives etc.

If you want a bike its up to you, i reckon they are ideal for single blokes cause 9/10 you will be driving alone anyways so all the extra weight of the car is a waste of petrol

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Personally, I think it's stupid - ESPECIALLY if it is your only mode of transport. Everything has a shorter lifespan on a motorbike, driver included. An engine might last 50-80 thousand km, tyres would probably become something you need to purchase on a yearly basis. Fuel consumption is around that of a small car.
Also I doubt that most (I'd say 'all' - but who knows?) of your dates would appreciate this type of transportation during the wet and windy. Getting back to what I said initially, it is hardly practical when it's your only means of getting from point A to point B.
As others have already mentioned, you stand no chance from a head on, side, or rear end collision. 0-100km acceleration in 4 seconds whilst hugging a fuel tank. I really don't see the attraction.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
50 to 80 thou? Yeh right. You've never seen an old bike on the road? I have. Also think about it, the only tyre you would need to replace more frequently would be the back tyre...thats 1 tyre, geez, gunna break the bank with that one.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
If you want to get a quick motorbike for Learners, the best is an Aprilia RS250.

I booked my motorbike test and put down a deposit the Aprilia about 2 years ago. When my mum found out she went nuts at me so I didn't get it. Motorbikes are awesome if you can ride properly. Otherwise you just endanger yourself and other road users.

Jiga

I would never have a motorbike as a sole form of transportation... for something fun on weekends yea, but as mentioned, alot of people die on motorbikes because even in slow crashes there is no buffer between you and the car hitting you.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
50 to 80 thou? Yeh right. You've never seen an old bike on the road? I have. Also think about it, the only tyre you would need to replace more frequently would be the back tyre...thats 1 tyre, geez, gunna break the bank with that one.
Sure man, keep it on the road till it hits 150 thou. It's going to burn oil, guzzle fuel, and offer poorer acceleration. Unless it gives up entirely. 80k km is perfectly reasonable, especially for ones that can top 19k RPM. I know bikes which have needed a head spruce up after 40000km. Perhaps breaking a reliable 100 000 is possible - if you don't go over 10k rpm - but lets be realistic. Motorcycles have small, highly strung motors which rely on ballistic RPMs and high compression ratios for performance. These are not engines made for the long haul - even when they are not abused. I would say that abuse of motorbikes is commonplace in the majority of young drivers.

I am also well aware that a motorbike has two tyres. I was emphasising the frequency of service, not the price. That is, unless you want to wipe out because someone has happened to piss on the road.

It just strikes me as stupid if its your only way of getting around.

Last edited:

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
It not the only form, but it will form a large component of it.

Thing is I'm heading to europe next year so I need something cheap. And as a skill I take it anywhere. But thanks for all the input. I'd still like more thou.

Gangels

HSC
Its a learning road to get there. All those classes and shit. If you want a cheap fuel efficient.........thing, get a scooter:)

$2000 and can go to sydney on a tank which is about $20

CieL

HSC
Gangels said:
Uh.. do you live very far from Sydney?

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
Its a learning road to get there. All those classes and shit. If you want a cheap fuel efficient.........thing, get a scooter:)

See the thing is...

I don't want to look like a pansy.

Do you know what would make me look like a pansy?

That's right. A wussy scooter.

daman

HSC
i was also pondering purchasing a motorbike or not and another factor that i've thought about is the protection i.e the jacket and helmet.

im thinking it would be a bitch to ride around in the summer with all that crap on, get too hot. and also the storage of these items at your destination when you dont want to have to carry shit around

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
True but it's so clique bad boy it would worth it. Plus you can run with motorcycle gangs and not to mention you get to ride which is like a rush everyday right now the only excitement I get driving is closing my eyes for long periods of time and hoping I don't crash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)