• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I get a motorbike? (1 Viewer)

daman

HSC
so to the op, did you end up getting a bike?

i think i might get a bike in the summer holidays, or atleast do the training and see how i progress from there.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Change thread name to: "Do I want to die?"

Motorbikes are inherantly dangerous:
-Get hit, you die.
-Fall off, you die.
-Bad corner, you die.
-Gravel/blood/spleen/water/etc on raod, you die.

Really these are vehicles which you can be considered lucky if you make it out of an accident permenantly injured and not plain dead.

As mentioned luggage and passengers are a no go. So you can't do the shopping, go on a date/picnic, etc etc. All you can do is A to B very fast, alone, with little luggage, oh and die, you can do that too.

Tyres are expensive, very expensive. Firstly there is no economics of scale and little competition in the market. Secondly you need very good tyres to reduce the chances of dieing. The better the tyre the shorter the life.

Leathers. I think they look hot (eg attractive) and thus are good. The downside is that they limit riding time in summer (eg avoid riding during the day). And you are stuck carrying a helmet and jacket around which are heavy and bulky.

Braking. They don't brake very well, this means you die.

Theft. Bikes get stolen. They also fall over and get damaged.

And now for some positives:
-Free parking.
-Adrenaline rush of almost dieing.
-Ridiculous acceleration and top speed.
-Excuse to wear leathers.
-Chicks dig them (until the novelty wears off.... eg they get leaves in their hair from riding with you... on the plus you should've gotten your leg over by then).

pottsy44

HSC
loquasagacious said:
Change thread name to: "Do I want to die?"

Motorbikes are inherantly dangerous:
-Get hit, you die.
-Fall off, you die.
-Bad corner, you die.
-Gravel/blood/spleen/water/etc on raod, you die.

Really these are vehicles which you can be considered lucky if you make it out of an accident permenantly injured and not plain dead.

As mentioned luggage and passengers are a no go. So you can't do the shopping, go on a date/picnic, etc etc. All you can do is A to B very fast, alone, with little luggage, oh and die, you can do that too.

Tyres are expensive, very expensive. Firstly there is no economics of scale and little competition in the market. Secondly you need very good tyres to reduce the chances of dieing. The better the tyre the shorter the life.

Leathers. I think they look hot (eg attractive) and thus are good. The downside is that they limit riding time in summer (eg avoid riding during the day). And you are stuck carrying a helmet and jacket around which are heavy and bulky.

Braking. They don't brake very well, this means you die.

Theft. Bikes get stolen. They also fall over and get damaged.

And now for some positives:
-Free parking.
-Adrenaline rush of almost dieing.
-Ridiculous acceleration and top speed.
-Excuse to wear leathers.
-Chicks dig them (until the novelty wears off.... eg they get leaves in their hair from riding with you... on the plus you should've gotten your leg over by then).
sounds like my cup of tea.

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
One thing that I think wasn’t mentioned is the statistics
Off the top of my head your about four time more likely to be injured suffer severe injuries you know all those bad shiet then if you where driving a car.

another one. More pedestrians are hit a year then car crashes.

Meh Interpret it whatever way you want but I think I will get my p's on a car not a bike. Scooters are good - They aren’t as fast but they have compartments ( underneath the seat) , but remain unnoticed due to the fact that we live in a society that grown up with motorbikes and cars *more ranting*.

If your looking for sex appeal in a bike have some chick behind you holding your chest while in front you have blood dripping down your face fragment of gravel and internal wounds. Nice image huh?

It's no fun to get hurt and those bones that you have some of the leg bones take 6 months to heal- everyone gather your crutches and start a crutch race!
first to hurt themselves wins YAY!!

Carefully think about the choice and if you do die- consider how your parents /brothers /sisters would feel. They might have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

-Loui

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)