• No, and i got 90+

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by spice girl
otherwise, nah, i dun think there are many good tutors around.
U'd make a good tutor for one - with the credentials of being top 10 in the state for 4U maths etc

ErgoSum

HSC
I got maths tutoring

I think getting a tutor for maths was the best decision i ever made. Basicly, i hadd'nt really done any maths through years 1->10 and although i really made an effort in year 11, i still struggled heaps ... my average mark for 3u math in year 11 would have been about 60% .. in a class where the average would have been about 78-85%. Year 12, i decided fukkit... loss of pride a bit but i really would like to do well in the hsc for maths. So i got a good tutor, who didnt just teach me the theory but also made it interesting (anecdotes about famous mathamaticians, how certain math concepts were discovered) ,The basic procedure was that my maths tutor would just go over with me the work i had done in class, but slowly making sure i understood it and offered shortcut or simpler methods of doing most questions (synthetic division thank you for an extra 5 min in the hsc exam :) ) studied my ass off and ended up with a class average of about 80% and above 90 in the actual exam which somehow due to my entire math class getting >90 in the hsc scaled my mark to 92 for 2u and 46/50 for 3u. Without tutoring, i would probably have gotten bands 4 or 5s. So yeah .. small amount of guilt but also getting a tutor is in no way a replacement for studying or doing shitload of practice questions.

I guess, i would recommend tutoring if like me you get a bit lost the first time you go over the material, or you think you are weak in the fundamentals that the maths you are learning is built on ... I dont think that tutoring would be the way to go if you are getting 95's and you are aiming for 99 .. i think tutoring if you are getting 60's or 70's and you are aiming for 80's ..

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
tutoring rocks!!
especially if u go to a crap skool like me

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Generally I think everybody is capable of performing to a decent to above average standard whether or not they're getting out-of-school tuition.. but then again, I also think John Howard could be a decent guy.

Anyway.

If you're looking for a tutor, make sure you actually need the help and you're not just lazy. It's not worth paying $50/hr for somebody who's just going to be telling you what you're just not listening to in class. Also, if you're only struggling with certain topics, it might be better to ask someone with a bit of free time who's done the course - not necessarily in your year. I have a genius of a sister who explained bits and pieces of 3u maths, but I didn't pay her (HA!) and I was fine with most of the content.. I think.

Don't think that just because someone got over a UAI of 90 they're a good tutor. Obviously you don't want to be tutored by someone who was in the lower bands of your subject, but it's easy for people smarter than you to get impatient :( and that sort of jazz. Again, not worth paying for :p

And for most subjects you can learn the material again as part of your exam revision. If you're like me that means you learn a term's worth of topics in two weeks, but it's possible.. and make sure you learn it :p If it's maths, do lots of questions. If it's english, do lots of questions. If it's chem.. run and hide. I mean, do lots of questions. It's a tried-and-proven technique for (re-)learning material you've sort-of-maybe-kinda done before.

Damn, I make long posts. :uhhuh:

Originally posted by freaking_out
How much ppl here with 90+ went to a tutor coz i am thinking about getting one for maths and wether if its worth it.
well, use ur teacher as a tutor ,ask them anythin u don't understand.It's cheaper

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Re: Re: Should i get a tutor?

Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

well, use ur teacher as a tutor ,ask them anythin u don't understand.It's cheaper
You'd be suprised how many teachers are lazy & cannot be bothered issuing proper work & making time for you to ask questions.

Rahul

Dead Member
Re: Re: Re: Should i get a tutor?

Originally posted by InfiniteQ

You'd be suprised how many teachers are lazy & cannot be bothered issuing proper work & making time for you to ask questions.
i am going to be getting tution off my eng teacher from last year. and i'll have to pay for it too. she still goes to my school.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Should i get a tutor?

Originally posted by Rahul

i am going to be getting tution off my eng teacher from last year. and i'll have to pay for it too. she still goes to my school.
I was going to get tuition from a teacher at school but apparently you're not allowed to or something? He wasn't even teaching my class.

tt_j65

HSC
with all my years of tutoring experience

north shore for physics would be a turning point.

they dont teach you every dot point in the syllabus but focuses on the most important theory and mathematical stuff that gain the most marks

the rest of the dot points you will have to study for yourself.

but for maths, private one on one tutor would be the best - same for english as well

:eek:

Rahul

Dead Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should i get a tutor?

I was going to get tuition from a teacher at school but apparently you're not allowed to or something? He wasn't even teaching my class.
not allowwed??????

doesnt sound right, maybe he DIDNT WANT TO

heheh jokz:D :p

i don't think you need a tutor, u just need a good teacher.Many students who put the work in and get 90+ in subjects don't have tutors.I personally would rather get 90+ the proper way without one, so i would feel it was a personal effort.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
i don't think you need a tutor, u just need a good teacher.Many students who put the work in and get 90+ in subjects don't have tutors.I personally would rather get 90+ the proper way without one, so i would feel it was a personal effort.
So are you saying that the rest of us who have tutors are essentially cheating?

tt_j65

HSC

all tutoring is , is to teaCh something twice and understand it better

(unless you *cough* get "help" ;))

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by tt_j65

all tutoring is , is to teaCh something twice and understand it better

(unless you *cough* get "help" ;))
Yep I'm aware of that but does that mean that we are doing the HSC an improper way because we're being taught something twice?

tt_j65

HSC

Yep I'm aware of that but does that mean that we are doing the HSC an improper way because we're being taught something twice?
wouldnt it be the same as revision?

or asking the teacher to explain it again?

tutoring isnt cheating

:)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul

no bloody way!!! the student is willing to work harder to get good marks, u cant call that cheating.
Exactly! By getting tuition it doesn't mean that you're automatically going to do heaps better... you still have to put in the hard yards.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
just a note ... your most likely not going to be a private tutor in uni ... so it will be different if you ahve tutoring ...

no way.im not saying that.It's like saying people who have teachers are cheating-everyone has teachers.I believe that no matter how many tutors you have, it's really up to you in the end to achieve your goals in the hsc.Maybe someone people want that extra security by having a tutor and that's fine-it's your hsc.I personally like to achieve things without a tutor-it's just what i did in my hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)