should I get core texts 2nd hand of 1st hand (1 Viewer)

sciSHIZZLEbomb

HSC
So I was looking at the prices for just one of my subjects and the two core texts together already add up to $300. Would it matter if I got a second-hand book? Or is it better to pay the price in order to get first hand?

Thanks!

nuggetz

HSC
I would recommend getting them 2nd hand.
Also all the extras that come with the core texts aren't really needed anyway.
You don't need the latest editions either, some are almost identical.
All your subjects this year (except stats) will have lecture notes which have a good outline of what you need to know already.
Your lecturers will write the exams based on the lecture notes and not the textbook.
The textbooks are good if you have no background in science and need extra detail that some lecturers do not give.
I found myself consulting the lecture notes more often than the textbooks, the two core texts were quite wordy and I could never bring myself to read them and managed to pass every subject.
Anyway, good luck! :)

Last edited:

HiHaii

HSC
It is better getting the core text 2nd hand because the difference between the new is too minimal. If you buy new texts they will give you a code to access on the internet for more material but honesty no one uses them even if they have the code because the text already has way too much info. That is way more than enough to get a HD. You should buy the edition your lecturer tells you to buy because the lecturer often directs you to certain chapters/pages to read and every edition are different in chapters/pages. Thus, knowing that you're on the same page.
And because I am giving you vital information, you should buy my textbooks. They are really cheap and I need to sell to buy other textbooks. If you will be studying Chemistry 1 or 2, this will be for you. Condition is excellent so no need to worry. Total retail price is $243 and I'm selling for $110. My number is 0414628443.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/m-my-ad.html?adId=1014693167

sciSHIZZLEbomb

HSC
the link isn't working me atm - could you tell me what the textbooks are for chemistry 1 and 2?

nuggetz

HSC
I am! I'm selling the two core texts for Chem1, 2, and Cell Biology and Genetics.
the chem one is called Chemistry the Central science: a broad perspective 2nd edition and I'm selling it for $100
The other one is Campbell biology 8th edition, the difference between the 8th and 9th version is that it's a little more structured and there's more headings lol. (I compared with a friend) I'm selling it for $90

I'm also selling principles of environmental science which is a recommended text if you're thinking of doing an environmental major for $40.

I think first two are the most important texts you need for the year, because you need each one for 2 semesters. I wouldn't recommend getting the extra one for biosphere, physical aspects of nature or human anatomy and physiology because you only need it for one semester. Having more texts doesn't guarantee you a HD in a subject haha. I can bring them to you at uni next week. Let me know if you're interested!

Last edited:

sciSHIZZLEbomb

HSC
I'd be happy to get the biology book for $75 and the chemistry - if this is by Blackman, publisher Wiley for $80

HiHaii

HSC
Hey buy from me instead! :D
My one is exactly the same. The only difference is that the condition is excellent! Plus this is a package. That is, the required text: Chemistry the Central science, comes with a Molecular Model Set (RRP $213.36) which will be essential when you reach the organic topic as it provides a visual aid to your study. I cannot stress on how much you will need this, because I struggled myself. The set also comes with SI Chemical Data 6th Edition (RRP $29.95) which is also a required text for Chemistry. This is essential like the title suggest, provides you data when handling questions. You will see when you receive your Subject Outline that these two are the required text essential for Chemistry. I am selling them for $120, saving you $123.31. You are in good hands. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:

sciSHIZZLEbomb

HSC
For now, I'm just looking at buying the textbook. So could I have just the textbook for 85 dollars?

nuggetz

HSC
Oh! The chemistry text is different this year? Last year's one is by the publisher Pearson :/

I'd be happy to sell you the biology one for $75 haha.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)