should i go selective or stay at my local hs (1 Viewer)

bigman948

HSC
N/A
i have been accepted into a top 100 selective school but idk whether to just go to my local school cuz closer

how much does it matter

Sethio

HSC
probably.

Things I would consider are:
1. How good is your current school in comparison to the selective (How big is the gap)
2. Can you achieve a high atar independently at your current school
3. Do you want to be pushed more academically and you feel like your current cohort is lacking or has limited potential
4. Time to get to school(important for busy year 12)
5. And what year are you in
6. like what decision makes you happy. maybe both do -> maybe one doesn't. they way i did it was imagined i stayed at one of the school and just outweighed my thoughts.

To expand on point 5 "what year are you in". Moving to a school in year 11 is entirely different to one in year 9 because you have to get acclimated to the school environment. Things like marking is a pretty big deal as well because at your current school you probably understand how teachers mark and whatnot -> and moving to a new school is a huge issue in terms of this (examples -> dreaded year 7-10 science syllabus). If you don't think you can adjust to this then it might be a risk. If you have a "buffer" year so like year 9/10 then should be fine. The reason I bring this up links to point 2 -> if you know how your teachers mark at your current school and you get high marks and consistently rank at the top, and you truly believe that you can accomplish the same "external" marks despite the school then you might look into staying. This is an option I took.

There have been people top 10 in their current school --> moved and fell a lot of places when they were maybe better off staying. However, this is a rare scenario -> wherein you will probably excel just fine.

In your case, if time isn't too crazy and you are relatively adaptable, then the selective school is a good shout tbh. Also if the disparity in your current school and selective school ranking is large.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)