Should I go to Usyd? (1 Viewer)

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I'm currently a science/law student at UNSW. I chose UNSW over USYD because I initially wanted to do advanced science/law and USYD didn't have the major I wanted to do. But now I don't want to do the major I came to UNSW to do - I've changed to geography, but want to major in environmental studies at USYD instead. However, I really like UNSW law and I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up the great teaching (I know USYD is great but I've heard that UNSW's small classes are unique). So what should I do? In terms of careers, I'm not sure what I want to do - preferably something environmental but I'm really enjoying law so I'm not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated - I'm quite stressed over this. Thanks :)

shinebright

HSC
What about environmental studies at UNSW?

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't do science but does our uni offer a major in environmental science? Honestly you can't go wrong with either decision. Both unis are equally as great. Just pick what you think will let you have a greater time at uni.

lawstu

HSC
Don't stress (any more than you actually need to). Doing the B.Sc./LL.B., you're probably stressed enough!

If I were in your situation, in light of what you've written, I'd stick it out at UNSW and simply switch science majors. Maybe there's a science major that's more completely catches your eye. Perhaps statistics or mathematics, chemistry, biology, ecology, earth science, marine science, or physical oceanography interest you?

Talk broadly to the guys at UNSW. In my experience with UNSW and USYD, UNSW help is solid.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Don't stress (any more than you actually need to). Doing the B.Sc./LL.B., you're probably stressed enough!

If I were in your situation, in light of what you've written, I'd stick it out at UNSW and simply switch science majors. Maybe there's a science major that's more completely catches your eye. Perhaps statistics or mathematics, chemistry, biology, ecology, earth science, marine science, or physical oceanography interest you?

Talk broadly to the guys at UNSW. In my experience with UNSW and USYD, UNSW help is solid.
Thanks for the advice - yes I agree. Yeah I'm not sure what to do about majors - I will ask around :)

lawstu

HSC
Thanks for the advice - yes I agree. Yeah I'm not sure what to do about majors - I will ask around :)
Not at all.

While some are suited to USyd and how things are there, I'd be remiss in not objectively as possible stating that admin and academics can be quite difficult.

I forgot to advise that switching unis can be quite disruptive too. Of course, that's probably obvious to and appreciable by you. :)

kewon

HSC
how does unsw law compare with usyd law? e.g. teaching, employability, social life

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
how does unsw law compare with usyd law? e.g. teaching, employability, social life
Obviously in no position to answer this because I haven't gone to usyd but from what I've heard, UNSW teaching is much more interactive; the classes are more seminar style (you virtually have no traditional lectures) which I absolutely love because it forces you to do your readings (due to class participation) and I love hearing what others have to say. I've made heaps of friends from class discussions etc. Employability is basically equal (I think). Not sure about social life.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Stick it out at UNSW. Ive found USYD Science in general a bit underwhelming

jenslekman

HSC
Stick it out at UNSW. Ive found USYD Science in general a bit underwhelming
Orlly?

Commerce at UNSW or USYD or UTS???
Usually people prefer UNSW > USYD > UTS when it comes to commerce. But really, the degrees are pretty much the same with each uni having different strengths. You should go to the uni open days to get a feel for each uni's culture and pick the one that bests suits you.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope don't go to usyd ... Too many strikes.

lawstu

HSC
I two-timed and have been at both.

For your own sake, GO TO UNSW... unless you're exceptional, as in weird.
Lol is that serious use of a reason or..
Statutorily protected industrial action is no joking matter, and the disruptive effect that they have had at the University of Sydney is no joking matter either.

These actions have disrupted exams, tutorials, and lectures.

/entitled

Last edited:

PastPaper

HSC
N/A
Do you mind expanding on this a little? As someone who's been to both why do you reckon UNSW Law beats USyd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)