• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I keep Bio? (1 Viewer)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi friends,
As I'm about to start the HSC I'm looking for your oppinions on me keeping or dropping Biology for the HSC. I'm looking to get the best ATAR I can I don't really want to put and Arbitrary figure out there but hopefully around 95. I currently am doing 12 units next term MX2, english advanced, Chem, Phys and Bio. In the years I ranked 2nd in maths extension 1 so with application I think I have the potental to come first, I came first fairly eaisly in chemistry albeit reletively weak class of about 25, In physics I came second and I believe I have the potential to come first in that aswell. In Bio however I came third in the yearly and I am ranked lower overall about 5th.
So my question is given that Biology is my weakest science subject in the scheme of things also factoring in scaling which put Bio down even more. At what point should I consider dropping it? I'm thinking wait until half yearly and if bio is my lowest ranked science than I should piss it off and go for rank 1st in maths, chem and phys.
Also my second question is I see alot of people with a subject composition of eng adv, MX2, chem, phys. How did you guys find it and did the 10 units hinder or benefit your overall ATAR result.
I don't know just looking for your guys oppinions given the info that I've stated.
Cheers

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thing is, if you're coming easily first in physics you probably aren't pushing yourself to learn all the content to get 90+
Whereas, if you're coming 5th in bio but better it other things it obviously means the bio class is strong and if you get 1st/2nd you can fall back on your internal mark a little if you screw the external.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Phys, Chem, MX2, and Eng adv are considered the Asian four because they scale so well.

So you should be good.

Alkanes

HSC
Phys, Chem, MX2, and Eng adv are considered the Asian four because they scale so well.

So you should be good.
It's called Asian 5 from memory. You forgot MX1.

But I'll tell you what. Dropping physics was one of the best decisions I've made in my life :p

wavess

HSC
I agree with riproot, in year 11 bio, I was coming like 11/40, now I'm coming 2nd because I pushed myself to do better! Depends how motivated you are...But in the end, do what you enjoy!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's called Asian 5 from memory. You forgot MX1.

But I'll tell you what. Dropping physics was one of the best decisions I've made in my life :p
I'm white. How the fuck am I supposed to know?!

Rohanco

HSC
Are you interested in doing Med by any chance? Bio would help a great deal if you were.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
As a matter of fact, I actually would like to do Medicine however in most cases you can't get accepted into med with out a very high ATAR in comparison to most other degrees, so therefore Its all well and good to say that bio is helpful/relevent to med but If I don't get the ATAR required to have a sturdy application then that knowledge is redundant. So what I'm trying to do, is to put myself in a position which will give me the best opportunity to achieve the absolute highest ATAR I can. But I guess we'll see how much assesment marks begin to come out and then I'll go from there. :)

fionarykim

HSC
Nahh man dont drop bioo
id say give it 2 terms, by term 2 if you arnt improving then drop it :p

coz the truth is, its obvious your very smart, as your doing very well in all ur tough subjects
bio should be fine for you, if you take it a bit more seriously!
also good to have a backup subject :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)