• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I keep Chemistry?? Help! (1 Viewer)

Nerdy101

HSC
I am currently half way through my Year 11 Preliminary HSC course and am thinking about which subject to drop if any. I do Advanced English, Extension 1 English, General Mathematics 2 Unit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Business Studies. English and science are my strongest points, though ATM, I'm really struggling with chemistry and am failing + not understanding anything (I have a terrible teacher). Initially I decided that I would drop chemistry so I had more time to focus on my other subjects, but upon reading other forums, I'm worried physics will become too difficult next year :/ so my question is, should I drop chemistry or physics? Or keep both?

P.s. I am aiming for an ATAR of 80+ and want to study law and psychology at university :)

astroman

HSC
drop it if you are struggling but ensure you are strong in your remaining units

Nerdy101

HSC
Idk, I find chemistry interesting but my teacher is all over the place and cannot teach :/ on the other hand, I'm doing better at physics, but I suck at math and am worried physics will get too hard :/

astroman

HSC
Idk, I find chemistry interesting but my teacher is all over the place and cannot teach :/ on the other hand, I'm doing better at physics, but I suck at math and am worried physics will get too hard :/
The majority of the math in physics is covered in year 11, particularly the moving about topic, Year 12 is more theory and the formulas are on the formula sheet and not that hard to solve.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Tbh, calculations in chemistry can often become more confusing than in physics.
You should make your decision after your yearly exam results, but i recommend dropping chem since it does not scale higher than physics

DepressedPenguino

HSC
You should make your decision after your yearly exam results, but i recommend dropping chem since it does not scale higher than physics
There is no such thing as scaling higher

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you seriously recommending someone to drop X subject because of scaling? FYI, scaling for those 2 are basically equal while General is way lowers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)