• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should i leave school? (1 Viewer)

R3bel1

HSC
I've done year 11 and am about to head into year 12 in 2010, but to be honest i'm seriously considering dropping out.
but i DESPERATELY want a uai or atar or whatever. my dream is to be a Zoologist, so i need to get a bachelor of science majoring in zoology.
I was hoping to get my UAI at Tafe instead, maybe doing a stat test or do newstep, but i'm uncertain if thats just risking everything i've done?
can i please get some opinions from people on whether i should stay and be unhappy, or try leaving and see how i go and if that will work for me?

Stormey

HSC
Just put in the effort for 1 more year, it will be well worth it in the end. Plus, it's only another 3 terms and it's all over :D

You'll still have to put the effort in at TAFE, regardless.

However, why do you want to drop out?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I've done year 11 and am about to head into year 12 in 2010, but to be honest i'm seriously considering dropping out.
but i DESPERATELY want a uai or atar or whatever. my dream is to be a Zoologist, so i need to get a bachelor of science majoring in zoology.
I was hoping to get my UAI at Tafe instead, maybe doing a stat test or do newstep, but i'm uncertain if thats just risking everything i've done?
can i please get some opinions from people on whether i should stay and be unhappy, or try leaving and see how i go and if that will work for me?

To be a zoologist, you'll need an ATAR of at least 70. This will get you into one of the univsersities with low entry ATARs that do not completely suck ass, such as UWS, UTS, UoW or whatever.

Don't go to TAFE. It will be harder to get the ATAR you want. Thats because TAFE has far, far crappier teachers. The students there are also horrible. They'll all be dropouts, bogans, lebs etc so you'll have no competition, nobody to compare yourself against and nobody to ask questions or discuss things with. Trust me, i'm speaking from experience. Stay in school.

If your teachers suck, then take learning into your own hands and self-study from the textbook. You'll need discipline and drive in order for this to work.

Don't bother with STAT or whatever other tests unless you're aiming for a course that has this as it's selection criteria. A Bachelor of Science degree only has an ATAR for its selection criteria, so focus your energy into getting a good ATAR.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
don't drop out. It will be harder. Why drop out now if you have done year 11? there's only 8 more months! work hard. Tis easy to get 70 ATAR to do zoology compared to doing it at tafe

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC

Don't drop out buddy, the HSC isn't that hard, especially if you're aiming for a course like science, which all in all doesn't have all that high of a cutoff. That's not to say that you should slack off, but I believe that the HSC will be that much safer option for you.

random bus

HSC
just stay, the lights at the end of the tunnel and what a waste of 12 years at school if u leave.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
To be a zoologist, you'll need an ATAR of at least 70. This will get you into one of the univsersities with low entry ATARs that do not completely suck ass, such as UWS, UTS, UoW or whatever.

Don't go to TAFE. It will be harder to get the ATAR you want. Thats because TAFE has far, far crappier teachers. The students there are also horrible. They'll all be dropouts, bogans, lebs etc so you'll have no competition, nobody to compare yourself against and nobody to ask questions or discuss things with. Trust me, i'm speaking from experience. Stay in school.

If your teachers suck, then take learning into your own hands and self-study from the textbook. You'll need discipline and drive in order for this to work.

Don't bother with STAT or whatever other tests unless you're aiming for a course that has this as it's selection criteria. A Bachelor of Science degree only has an ATAR for its selection criteria, so focus your energy into getting a good ATAR.
+Infinity

R3bel1

HSC
yh it sounds like i should stay, but ALL my friends left to get jobs, go to tafe etc so i go to school and sit around miserable, having to sit with people i don't really get along with that much.
Plus i live an hour and a half from my school, if i did the NewStep program at my local university, which is a 10 minute walk away, life would be so much easier and it would be a new start.
Newstep will still only take a year, i just emailed the university i would like to go to (armidale) and asked if Newstep would be a good enough qualification. IF they say yes, then I'm definitely going there
Do you still disagree?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
yh it sounds like i should stay, but ALL my friends left to get jobs, go to tafe etc so i go to school and sit around miserable, having to sit with people i don't really get along with that much.
Plus i live an hour and a half from my school, if i did the NewStep program at my local university, which is a 10 minute walk away, life would be so much easier and it would be a new start.
Newstep will still only take a year, i just emailed the university i would like to go to (armidale) and asked if Newstep would be a good enough qualification. IF they say yes, then I'm definitely going there
Do you still disagree?
Where exactly do you live that you're 10 minutes away from a uni but 90 minutes away from a high school? =/ If that's the case the Newstep program may be a better option.

R3bel1

HSC
i live in ourimbah, so i could do newstep through ourimbah university, whereas my selective school which is in newcastle is just a chore to go somewhere to be miserable.
I wake up at 6, get ready, leave at 7, get to the train station at 7:30, get on a train, then get to school at ten past 9... every single day. and then after doing six hours of school where i'm miserable, i have to travel all the way back. By the end of the day i'm miserable and tired.
I'd prefer to do newstep, I'm still getting my uai, and i'll have more time to work and probably be more active about it then i am now.
I'v emailed the ourimbah university and the armidale university but i'm going to call first thing tomoro, if newstep enables me to achieve the bachelor of science through armidale then my decision, i guess, will be made?

HSC
i live in ourimbah, so i could do newstep through ourimbah university, whereas my selective school which is in newcastle is just a chore to go somewhere to be miserable.
I wake up at 6, get ready, leave at 7, get to the train station at 7:30, get on a train, then get to school at ten past 9... every single day. and then after doing six hours of school where i'm miserable, i have to travel all the way back. By the end of the day i'm miserable and tired.
I'd prefer to do newstep, I'm still getting my uai, and i'll have more time to work and probably be more active about it then i am now.
I'v emailed the ourimbah university and the armidale university but i'm going to call first thing tomoro, if newstep enables me to achieve the bachelor of science through armidale then my decision, i guess, will be made?
Yeah, public transport is shit. I agree x 1000. I wish I could be dropped off by someone. I feel miserable too. But you've been doing it for five years already, why give up in the most important year of schooling when there are only three terms left!

future-doctor

HSC
LOL woo O'BAH! Sorry irrelevant but why didn't you go to school on the coast, Gosford high is also selective.

Also, i agree with everyone else just three more terms of school just focus on your goal and you'll be in uni doing B.science in no time. :)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I think this is really a decision you need to make for yourself. If Newstep gets you into uni and things are hard at school, then go for it.

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
I left school when i was 17, and it was DEADSET the best thing i ever did.

I started an briding course and finished an apprenticeship and now earn over $100k/year and i'm 18 and i work for macquarie bank
good work!!!

R3bel1

HSC
i'm still mulling it all over...
but thank you everyone for your helpfull replies =D
i;m going to go to the university tomoro and ask them about their options and if it will enable me to achieve what i can. If newstep wont work, i'll suffer through school. Although school is pretty crap when you have no good friends to talk to and your stuck with people you'd rather not be with.
My fingers are crossed for newstep :D
thanks everyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)