Should I make notes for biology? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
For yr 12 should I be making bio notes? Currently I am making bio notes for prelim and its very tedious and time consuming. The thing is bio is just memorising which is not like physics where an understanding is beneficial therefore making notes helps. So should I just print out some really good notes such as Ahmad Shah Idil's revised notes and just memorise it?? Or make notes by myself??

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
For yr 12 should I be making bio notes? Currently I am making bio notes for prelim and its very tedious and time consuming. The thing is bio is just memorising which is not like physics where an understanding is beneficial therefore making notes helps. So should I just print out some really good notes such as Ahmad Shah Idil's revised notes and just memorise it?? Or make notes by myself??
This is a good option however relying entirely on his notes is not a good idea. Ahmad Shah's notes + extra work of your own (e.g. past papers, adding extra notes on the side) would be a better idea.

Nahcal

HSC
scab other peoples notes
^ This. Might be better to write your own notes for the Practical dot points as, for me, it was easier as I experienced them myself. The other stuff take MilkyCat_'s advice.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
This is what I plan to do:
Get Ahmad Shah Idil's Revised notes and memorise them
Do past papers
Add any notes on the side for my own understanding

Anything else that I should do?
Should I make up a scientific report for every experiment? There are a shit load of experiments for biology and for prelim i cbf making notes for pracs..
Are there any notes out there that also cover prac dot points??

leehuan

HSC
That sounds fine.

In terms of pracs though idk about biology but for chemistry I had to memorise heaps of pracs and a few for physics as well (they did examine a prac in the 2015 paper)

However the discussion didn't really matter. Discussion questions = basically the actual course. Focus more on the method and limitations of your experiment, as well as maybe results where applicable

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
That sounds fine.

In terms of pracs though idk about biology but for chemistry I had to memorise heaps of pracs and a few for physics as well (they did examine a prac in the 2015 paper)

However the discussion didn't really matter. Discussion questions = basically the actual course. Focus more on the method and limitations of your experiment, as well as maybe results where applicable
Hmm, do u have any links for bio or physics that I can refer to for pracs?
What do you mean by limitations to the experiment?

Flop21

HSC
Dude seriously just find some good notes. Ahmad Shah's revised notes are not the best out there.

I wasted a lot of year 12 writing bio notes and guess what didn't use them one bit lol. I bought someone's notes and they had everything I needed. Rote learned that and knew my stuff by HSC time. That's all you need to do.

StudiousStudent

HSC
ahaha what?
Lol, that was my reaction for the half yearlies.

In prelim I made extensive bio notes and done really well, I was topping my class. I slacked off towards the end of 2015 and didn't bother making notes for bio this year, and my rank fell from 1st to 6th.

If you have the time, it's definitely worth it.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

In prelim I made extensive bio notes and done really well, I was topping my class. I slacked off towards the end of 2015 and didn't bother making notes for bio this year, and my rank fell from 1st to 6th.

Im doing it for prelim as there is fk all in terms of notes online..but it takes alot of time took me 3 hours to do 7 dot points today..

Flop21

HSC

Wasn't for me

StudiousStudent

HSC
Im doing it for prelim as there is fk all in terms of notes online..but it takes alot of time took me 3 hours to do 7 dot points today..
Yeah true, have you looked on EQUELLA for notes? I found some good ones on there last year. You know how some people do their HSC at TAFE, well TAFE uploads marked past exam papers frequently.
I think a few hours is standard to cover 7 dot points if you want to be thorough.

Last edited:

baktiar77

HSC
Prelim doesn't matter to the general scheme of things but it's good to get into good habits early.

I did bio last year and I wrote my own notes which were combination of mostly my teacher's notes + Ahmad Shah Idil's revised notes. I find them easier to rote-learn as I usually simplify some of the language obviously not the biological jargon but you get what I mean.

However if you short on time, always do PAST PAPERS. Trust me, all the rote-learning in the world can't help you in some of the retarded application questions I did last year in the HSC and trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)