• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I or shouldn't I?? (1 Viewer)

kawaiinlove

HSC
I'm in year 10 and still can't decide whether to choose general maths for year 11. I'm looking towards doing something in the social area but the thought of maths makes me ill. I'm not very good at it but I know a lot of things require it. HELP PLEASE!

melonkitten

HSC
I am just wondering, why would you stun your potential to anything greater than a 30k income earner before you even reach yr11?

yes. i am deadly serious

HSC
Most (Nearly all) university courses that have Maths as Assumed Knowledge or as a Prerequisite demand Mathematics - not General Mathematics. So General is only there if you want to improve your UAI (only if you're horrible at 2u maths, and you go really well in Gen) or if you like the everyday maths.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
general maths is a freakin breeze. pick it up!

PC

HSC
N/A
It's about time the unis woke up and got out of the 1970s. General Maths is actually quite good preparation for any student doing subjects like psychology and offered limited preparation for stats subjects. 2u and 3u maths obviously has no stats but loads of calculus so those subjects are for students who would be going into sciences or engineering. So if you're going into the social area, with little maths, maybe general is the go.

It seems like your choice is either general maths or no maths at all?

ratcher0071

HSC
If your doing well in maths now (say top 15-20) Do mathematics :D

Your choices are:
-no maths at all
-Maths General
-Maths
-Maths Extension 1

Choose Wisely Young One
o_O

kawaiinlove

HSC
Spoke to my careers advisor, decided to give general maths a go, there wasn't much option anyway besides a TAFE course so she said if I really find it that awful to just drop it at the end of year 11.

Norma.Jean

HSC
You can always try advanced Maths and if you find it hard, drop down. If you are in general Maths there is so way you can up.

fungus12

HSC
Do general maths, im in year 11 now and started with 2 unit and the beginning of the year. I didnt like it and dropped down 2 general in term 2. Its so easy, *'d recommend doing it. : )

HSC
I did 2U at the beginning of Year 12, for a term i think. Dropped to General, going better than i hoped.

Purples

HSC
General Math isn't too difficult. At least try Advanced Math (maybe you would be able to cope with it). If not, then G Math is not a problem, you just need to pay attention.

SpasticDjinn

HSC
Meh, just do 11 units all up including g unit maths... then if you seriously fuck it/another subject up, you can choose to only count half of that subjects contribution to your UAI.. though if anyone could manage to fuck up g unit maths id be surprised.

If you're really keen just load on as many subjects as you can as buffers so you can pick and choose the ones you do best in at the end of the exams. But I was too lazy to do that, chose g unit because it looked like a bludge. and it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)