Should I pick up 4U mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Doukasa

HSC
I’m currently in the Math extension 1 class in year 11 and ranking about 6-9 (based on my mark to the average) in the extension papers in a top 100 school. I want to do extension 2 maths but I don’t know if my current marks are good enough. Could someone perhaps suggest if it would be worth doing in year 12?

Doukasa

HSC
Woah haha I didn’t expect replies so soon, I’ll guess I’ll pick it up then. Can I ask though, everyone says it is ridiculously harder than 2U but is it still manageable in the HSC. I don’t mind putting the hours in for it

idkkdi

HSC
Woah haha I didn’t expect replies so soon, I’ll guess I’ll pick it up then. Can I ask though, everyone says it is ridiculously harder than 2U but is it still manageable in the HSC. I don’t mind putting the hours in for it
Lol, what do you actually do in HSC? LIke 4 subjects in total if you take 10 units. Of course it's manageable. And as for the 4U, 2U argument, it's more so 2U is easy than 4U is too hard.

Doukasa

HSC
Lol, what do you actually do in HSC? LIke 4 subjects in total if you take 10 units. Of course it's manageable. And as for the 4U, 2U argument, it's more so 2U is easy than 4U is too hard.
Sorry meant 3U not 2U, I’m finding 3U at a good level, not too hard not too easy but you’re point still remains ahah

idkkdi

HSC
Sorry meant 3U not 2U, I’m finding 3U at a good level, not too hard not too easy but you’re point still remains ahah
You need bigger brain for 4U. Some questions are undoable even for beasts at Olympiad.

quickoats

HSC
You need bigger brain for 4U. Some questions are undoable even for beasts at Olympiad.
I found olympiad/AMC questions a lot harder than 4U - I think grasping the 4u concepts might be a bit harder for some people as they can be quite abstract.

beetree1

HSC
4u is easier than people make it out to be, i think it is just a matter of how much time you put into it. If you can sacrifice around 3 hours every day doing maths, then you will have absolutely no issues with the subject.

Doukasa

HSC
4u is easier than people make it out to be, i think it is just a matter of how much time you put into it. If you can sacrifice around 3 hours every day doing maths, then you will have absolutely no issues with the subject.
Ok, thanks for the advice :)

idkkdi

HSC
I found olympiad/AMC questions a lot harder than 4U - I think grasping the 4u concepts might be a bit harder for some people as they can be quite abstract.
Lol, I was more so referring to the enrichment questions in the 4U Cambridge book than actual exam questions.

vinlatte

HSC
Yes, this is because 4u introduces pure maths topics of proof and complex numbers. It was mind boggling for me to comprehend complex numbers at first.

idkkdi

HSC
Nah, grasping geometry is the hardest. At some point, geometry breaks your brain.
Actually, number theory is sometimes worse. Screw mod, no one likes modulo arithmetic.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)