Should I risk taking up 4U as part of 10 Units? (1 Viewer)

Guage

HSC
If anyone can be bothered reading this and replying, then thank you so much! :angel: I'm not completely sure whether to take up 4U Math...I've read most of the 'If you're in YR 11, read this 1st' thread.

For Ext1:
- I averaged ~75% in 3U topic tests in YR 11
- I got 61% in the half-yearly and while I haven't got my yearly mark back, I'm guessing ~55%.
- Considering the weighting of the half & yearly, my YR 11 report mark's gonna be ~60%.
For 2U:
- I'm expecting between 92-96% for YR 11 2U mark. (3Uer's only did half & yearly).

In saying that, though, I came 4th out of 30 with 92% in the 1st topic test, then our class got some teacher of whom I can't understand a thing she says! Then my remaining 3 topic tests averaged 70%, and I fell below class average. My explanation for the rest of the class keeping up their marks and myself falling below average is that I didn't do tutoring or much study/hw, so my success was based more on what the teacher taught in class. (Or is that an excuse? :p)

My teacher's said after my numerous 75% marks 'You can do better,' to which I wholeheartedly agreed. My teacher has asked me on several occasions if I want to take up 4U. (Sure, this bodes well for 4U, but as I've implied above, I don't trust a thing my teacher says)

Should I attempt 4U? I'll say now that I don't like Math. I'd happily drop it, but then again I'd happily drop any of my subjects bar Physics. (Or maybe I'm just deppressed? :cry:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But my crappy subject selection in YR 10 has meant that I must drop Software, leaving me with Physics, Chem, anything between 2-4U English, and anything between 2-4U Math. I want 10 units only, and I don't want a 3U/3U split because:

- 4U Math awesome scaling :cool:
- English Ext 2 course is too awesome not to attempt if I were go the English Ext route. :cool:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It gets more complicated because if I go to Sydney Boys as of next week (got an offer which I accepted, but I might pull out) the English head there has informed me that I probably can't do any English extensions (due to my crappy marks), forcing me to do 4U Math to make up my 10U. But I DO believe I have some Math ability, from all accounts I've heard the teacher's at SBHS are great, and the competition will be great.

IF I stay at my current school (ranked ~100), I will get to do 4U Math/4U English and drop the extra 2U when I please. It's highly likely that we 4Uer's will get a really good teacher for the first 3U, then my crappy YR 11 teacher for MX2.

Is MX2 for me, or should I stay at my current school and at least have flexibility in case MX2 becomes hell?

:hippie:

K

khorne

No. If you hate maths, and obviously don't study at home, you won't get anywhere in 4U.

If you want to do 4U, get your act together =]

jet

Banned
HSC
I second khorne. You don't necessarily have to love it to do well in it; just work hard and make a concerted effort at everything. It generally moderates quite well as well, so you would probably (not definitely!) get an E3/E4 with some amount of work.
But if you can't, maybe try and fight for extension english - it was an amazing course.

HSC
N/A
I'll be doing 10 ATAR units with 4 unit, so if you do that, you won't be alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)