Should I Stay or Should I Go? (1 Viewer)

Nemenaky

HSC
Here's my situation. After the prelims, I was 7 ranks from bottom of Advanced English, now everyone below me has dropped, making me last. My teacher (who isn't that kind of a person.) is urging me to drop. My mother and Aunty, who is a teacher, are urging me to stay.

Admittedly, I have been lazy for the year and have put minimal effort in throughout the year. But I do have the ability to do the course, according to my teacher, mother and Aunty.

What do you think BoS community?

Last edited:

hongjew

HSC
If you reckon you can pull your marks up to top 15, then stay. But if you can't then let's think about it.
Would you rather come bottom 20 in Advanced or in top 5 in Standard (assuming you will start trying this year).

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Don't do Standard. From what I've heard, it's only slightly easier and it scales horribly. If you believe you are capable of improving your work ethic, then stay in Advanced.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I have read, your mother and Aunty are not stupid and are obviously smarter than your teacher. Standard should always be avoided because it does not allow you to get Band 6 unless you are very good in which you would have smashed Advanced anyway. Band 5 is not easy in Standard either, only about 3-4% of all of the students in Standard get it.

If you are in any way capable of Advanced, never drop it.

Alkanes

HSC
Don't do Standard. From what I've heard, it's only slightly easier and it scales horribly. If you believe you are capable of improving your work ethic, then stay in Advanced.
Advanced and Standard scales the same. Standard just aligns horribly, hence why the number of band 6 is minimal.

Jaymay

HSC
From what I have read, your mother and Aunty are not stupid and are obviously smarter than your teacher. Standard should always be avoided because it does not allow you to get Band 6 unless you are very good in which you would have smashed Advanced anyway. Band 5 is not easy in Standard either, only about 3-4% of all of the students in Standard get it.

If you are in any way capable of Advanced, never drop it.
This.
Your teacher wants you to drop, as you may pull down the advanced cohort (The better the year goes, the more band 6's the better he or she looks, better the school looks)

But for you personally, those kids in advanced, will pull you up (thats what your family members know)

So basically, cop the pressure of being last in advanced, or just kill standard :)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Advanced and Standard scales the same. Standard just aligns horribly, hence why the number of band 6 is minimal.
Yeah align, that's what I meant.

You get what I'm saying though.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You say you can pull your socks up, so stay in Advanced. I'm sure with some more effort you won't come last in yr 12 :)

musing

HSC
Definitely keep it.

Anything is possible. I went from near bottom in preliminary to top in English Advanced in HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)