Should I take a science (physics or chem) ?? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi guys!
So, my subject selections are coming up and I don't know if I should pick physics. I'm thinking of doing computer sci + eco in university and I know that physics is helpful for computer science but I also know it's challenging and demanding. I also don't mind physics itself but again, I'm scared it will hurt my atar. On the other hand, I love chemistry but again, it is hard and I'm not too sure if I can take the work load with my other subjects I have in mind for Year 11 (ex1 {maybe or advanced idk yet} mx1, eco, ipt sdd (if ex1, I'll take out sdd) , business (I'll swap this with a science). If I do chemistry, it won't be too helpful for university anyways. I was wondering what your advice was?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
do what u like doing
don't be me - screw the asian five
if i had the chance to again i would have picked hsie subjects that i was naturally goated in instead of physics and stuff..
luckily my current combo isnt bad rn but i can't help but think how well i would do given i had picked things that i am good at

Last edited:

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
eco sucks trash subject stupid memorisation statistics bs and and idgaf abt australian economy why u making me study china tf ? basically hate it becaues its stupid
ps economics has screwed up my atar

libestraumno3

HSC
Hi guys!
So, my subject selections are coming up and I don't know if I should pick physics. I'm thinking of doing computer sci + eco in university and I know that physics is helpful for computer science but I also know it's challenging and demanding. I also don't mind physics itself but again, I'm scared it will hurt my atar. On the other hand, I love chemistry but again, it is hard and I'm not too sure if I can take the work load with my other subjects I have in mind for Year 11 (ex1 {maybe or advanced idk yet} mx1, eco, ipt sdd (if ex1, I'll take out sdd) , business (I'll swap this with a science). If I do chemistry, it won't be too helpful for university anyways. I was wondering what your advice was?
out of the two sciences it seems like you like chem more. if you were going to do one, i'd advise chem as it is the 'well-rounded' science and is the common pre-req/assumed for most med if you ever decide to pivot careers. if you're planning to take a high level of maths then physics can complement that well. that being said you dont need to do a science if you're not that confident in them. you still have a while to choose, from my understanding year 10 science is structured in a way so you can get a taste of what the different sciences are like and you can use that

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
in plm still so um it's a vibe rn and everything links together in a satisfying way
Maybe its just that fact that my prelim TEaCHER WAS AWAY HALF THE LESSONS AND WAS DOGWATER AND SO NOW IM FKED FOR THE HSC AND I DON"T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING I MIGHT just fail this bs

libestraumno3

HSC
there's so much focus on bio/chem/earth and like none on phys in jr science
oh my school did all the main sciences for the diff terms and the last beign our own research topic of our choice. physics was pretty heavy for jr sci personally - one of my favs (just that phys in the same line as eco) </3

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
iirc the only assumed knowledge and pre req for comp sci + eco is math so just choose subjects that you enjoy (you've probably heard this a lot lol but its true). You'll naturally do better in subjects you find more interesting and enjoyable. However, the sciences do provide you more pathways if you dont like comp sci + eco anymore and it can also provide more variety in terms of your subjects ig. You can also probably switch subjects in the first couple of weeks of y11 if you realise science isnt your thing. At the end of the day, its up to u :)

...xD

HSC
Hi guys!
I really wish I actually picked up a textbook and studied through it when I picked my subjects...looking back, its much more effective than thinking about what 'I should like...'

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!
Taking Advanced English + one of [AdvancedMath/Extension1Math/Extension2Math] + one of [BusinessStud/Economics] + one of [EngineeringStudies/IT/IPT/Computing] + one science [physics is ideal but any science is fine - many BCompSci/BEcon or equivalent degrees will have substantial overlap in some courses with people in sciences] + one other course.

This is pretty much the kind of schedule you will be expected to have done, focus less on your ATAR and focus more on actually taking courses that relate to what you're going to do.

pogchampion

HSC
Do physics, it's awesome! Especially if you stick it to the end, because then your view of reality starts falling apart... fun!

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hi guys!
pick the subjects you think you will enjoy the most!! I don't do physics and am planning on doing comp sci, I don't really think HSC physics is necessary for the course (from what I've seen/heard) and you'll cover a lot of physics related topics in maths extension anyways (especially if you end up doing mx2). I do chemistry and I actually really enjoy it! It's probably my favourite subject currently. I did business in prelims but dropped it for yr12, my cohort sucked and I didn't particularly love the subject, but I think it could have potential to be enjoyable. The prelim course was mostly just common sense imo.

ms_grape_taco

HSC
On the other hand, I love chemistry but again, it is hard and I'm not too sure if I can take the work load with my other subjects
I do chem right now and for sure it is hard, but it's like an exponentially learning curve - the first day you learn it, it'll take some time but maybe after 5-10 times of consistently trying your all to learn that one topic (e.g. equilibrium graphs) you'll get it and you probably won't ever forget (idk lol). Also the workload problem will always be there - with whatever subjects you pick! Also, do remember that chemistry is a pretty popular subject in general, and you are more likely to get support from your teachers/tutors/online resources compared to other subjects.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeah sm im doing chem rn (ditched physics), its def hard to start off with but atp doing hsc past papers is the best way to learn (speaking form just my experiences).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)