Should I transfer to Commerce/Laws from Economics/Laws? (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
I have always wanted to do an economics major, but I had been told by a staff member that you couldn't do Comm/Laws with an Economics major. Just recently, I have found out that you actually can do this. From what I can see, the main advantage of doing Commerce instead of Economics is the Industry Placement Program, which is only available to Business School students. However, by doing commerce, I would have to give up 4 electives, and do 4 compulsory commerce subjects instead. So is it worth transferring?

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd personally go for commerce/law.
But the question is, are you satisfied with economics within commerce as a major? or an economic's degree.

Meshy590

HSC
I don't think employers will regard the two things differently.

Btw I have already completed one year of study

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darth_UNSW

HSC
Purely from what I've heard, commerce is far more flexible in terms of employment. You can enter an incredibly broad range of work doing comm/law, but significantly less with eco/law.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think employers will regard the two things differently.

Btw I have already completed one year of study

Oh then, i'd just stick with eco/law, unless you can transfer your uoc to commerce.

Meshy590

HSC
Oh then, i'd just stick with eco/law, unless you can transfer your uoc to commerce.
Yeah, I can transfer all my my uoc to commerce/law

Meshy590

HSC
Purely from what I've heard, commerce is far more flexible in terms of employment. You can enter an incredibly broad range of work doing comm/law, but significantly less with eco/law.
That's what I've heard too, but regardless of whether I do comm/law or eco/law, I'll be doing an econ major.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
It all comes down to your decision. But then i think you should think more about the type of job you wanna do after uni, and think from the employer's perspective, if they would value commerce with economics major or economics degree itself. What i believe is that most employers would believe that commerce (economics) would be an inferior degree to economics degree itself. But that's just my opinion.

taintedxblood

HSC
Just wondering - where did you find out that you can major in economics for the commerce/law degree? On the handbook I got on enrollment day, it said that "Majors can only be from Business school subject areas for this combined degree, so Economics and Econometrics are excluded from the list of options". I'm only curious because I want to major in Economics as well (if possible) but so far, I've no indication that you can for the Commerce and Law Degree.

Meshy590

HSC
The 2014 handbook says you can major in Economics. The 2013 one says you can't... So obviously they would have changed the rules

taintedxblood

HSC
Are you sure? Cause I definitely have the 2014 handbook for Commerce and Law. On the list of majors, it includes Economics and Econometrics but at the bottom there's a "Note: Majors can only be from Business School... etc etc".

Meshy590

HSC
Not too sure then. But I spoke with someone at the business school, and she told me that you can do that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)