should i trop 4 unit math (1 Viewer)

bubblemilktea

there's 30 people at my school doing 4u math.......and i came 20 somthing...........and this year.....everyone is really smart....and one assessment was 80% for 4 unit..............should i keep going or should i trop 4 u.........???

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The fact that you have a low ranking amongst a cohort of "really smart" people probably means that you aint too bad at the subject. You need to put things into perspective. If you're at a selective school or have a really talented year then you have to think in terms of the state rather than your school. If you're decent a math then you should benefit from 4U given the scaling and the double up of units it gives to 3U.

When you say 80%, was that your mark or the weighting of the exam? If it was your mark then that's a really good one to be getting. IN my opinion 4U is one of, if not the most interesting HSC courses since it's one of the few which requires thinking as aposed to rote learning. In the end it's up to you, but don't just drop out because you have misconceptions from being in a smart year. Oh, and if you enjoy it... then keep it.

FinalFantasy

HSC
wow, one assessment worth 80%??!
anyway..i agree with Mr KFunk there...
and if u can do all da bookwork, den u shouldn't drop cuz u can do quite well w\ just book work, dun need to be like really good in maths or something.... well that's my opinion anyway!! :rolleyes:

lala2

Banned
HSC
no it isn't--you can drop anytime up to day of hsc, but it's advisable not to unless you think you'll have a hell of a lot of work preparing for your 2U and 3U maths trials (well, all the 4U people at my school have to do the 2U assessments and trial in case they drop to 3U, but I dunno about you)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
your bunch of "smart people" will pull you up in the HSC.

get_born

bubblemilktea said:
there's 30 people at my school doing 4u math.......and i came 20 somthing...........and this year.....everyone is really smart....and one assessment was 80% for 4 unit..............should i keep going or should i trop 4 u.........???
that sort of attitude sorry for the truth, but will get you no where. The fact that you are capable of taking 4 unit maths is such a privillege - speaking for myself i'd be over the moon if i just passed my maths exams (im doing 2 unit) - everyone maybe really smart, but dont forget your one of them really smart people. should you keep 4 unit? I say yes - just work your ass off - cos there aint that long to go - and in the end it will pay off. GOODLUCK!

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
KFunk said:
IN my opinion 4U is one of, if not the most interesting HSC courses since it's one of the few which requires thinking
Tis definately the case here! There needs to be more HSC subjects where you need to think rather than just regurgitate information! :D
If you like something which makes you think, keep it. :uhhuh:
If you don't, and you're not putting as much work into your other subjects as you should be because you're putting more work into ext 2 maths, drop it.
But I think that since you made it this far you may as well stick with it! There's not long to go, and you might find that you do well wheh compared to the rest of the state!

Wow...30 people :eek: ...What sort of school do you go to?! There's 5 in my class!

A l

HSC
N/A
Emma-Jayde said:
Wow...30 people :eek: ...What sort of school do you go to?! There's 5 in my class!
If you think 30 people for Mathematics Extension 2 is a lot, the school I go to has at least two or three Mathematics Extension 2 classes every year. Plus, I got to an average performing school with around 25 in each class. Fortunately, my school has a reputation for being good and competitive at Mathematics. I can't say the same for English though...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)