• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should religions enjoy tax exempt status? (1 Viewer)

Should religions enjoy tax exempt status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's revolting to think that the money that good people donate to the Church to be used to expressly make the good news available to more people could be manipulated and dilluted to further the political aims of whoever is in power. A sickening concept. You idiots no doubt dont understand how this is offensive. Like Herrod you only want to be amused by truth, not challenged by it.

Separation of Church and State cuts both ways. If the State is allowed dominion over the Church like this, it will only be a matter of time before we have a State Religion where the political leader is commanded to be worshipped as the supreme and perfect being, the depository of all truth and knowledge who cannot be questioned
etc

I hate your blindness bos, your flippancy and ratbaggery

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Excuse my ignorance, but why are religions currently exempt?
Not all are. Only those which 'advance' religion and are of public benefit are considered charities and tax exempt.

No tax exempt status, genuine charities wouldn't be operating at any substantial profit anyway.
property
capitial gains
payroll tax...

Lentern

HSC
It's revolting to think that the money that good people donate to the Church to be used to expressly make the good news available to more people could be manipulated and dilluted to further the political aims of whoever is in power. A sickening concept. You idiots no doubt dont understand how this is offensive. Like Herrod you only want to be amused by truth, not challenged by it.

Separation of Church and State cuts both ways. If the State is allowed dominion over the Church like this, it will only be a matter of time before we have a State Religion where the political leader is commanded to be worshipped as the supreme and perfect being, the depository of all truth and knowledge who cannot be questioned
etc

I hate your blindness bos, your flippancy and ratbaggery
What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who let their lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric. Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest!

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Should religions be tax exempt?

And the slightly curlier question imo is that if religions are not tax exempt then where does this leave religious/church-based charities?
Probably not.
But as you say it's definately a difficult question.
From my experience in many churches, the majority of the charities supported by Churches are religious charities which have the alterior or secondary motive of proselytizing the recipients of the organisation's financial assistance.
It would seem inappropriate for the taxpayer to be unwillingly supporting the religious objectives of a religious organisation.
However, much assistance IS given to many people who would otherwise receive none, and most of the Churches I have been involved in have made very little net profit anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)