Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

SpinCobra

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: About hymen existence

Yeah. I'm a virgin. Looking back, I'm glad I didnt lose my virginity to my ex.

And boris, you just said that having sex is like the most intimate act you can have with another person. There is only ever one first time. Isnt it better to lose your virginity to one partner and have that one partner for your lifetime?

Well there arent many people left out there that still feel that way.

lasnAy

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
if i'm not her first she'll know how small i rly am :(

also, thanks to the one child (baby daughter drowning) policy there will soon be millions of single chinese men roaming the globe in search of a partner coz there's none in china ^^
apparently the govt is thinking of removing that policy soon. The reason being (exactly as you said) because the male:female ratio is way to high and so all men are either going out with the same girl; or they are finding "overseas brides".

On a more related topic to this thread however, i think that virginity shouldn't be regarded as virtous as the medievil people though it to be. But at the same time people shouldnt go and have sex with the first person they meet.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

SpinCobra said:
Yeah. I'm a virgin. Looking back, I'm glad I didnt lose my virginity to my ex.

And boris, you just said that having sex is like the most intimate act you can have with another person. There is only ever one first time. Isnt it better to lose your virginity to one partner and have that one partner for your lifetime?

Well there arent many people left out there that still feel that way.
Idealistically, it's an extremely romantic notion. I'm just not sure how possible it is today on a large scale.

I'm not advocating going and getting your funk on with a string on randoms. Infact, the idea of constant, meaningless sex does nothing for me.

I imagine it would be a lonely existance if the only physical contact you had with another human being ends after the deed.

We'll take me as an example;
I've never had one night stands. I've slept with more than one person, but I've always been in a relationship with that person for > 6 months.

So I think it's entirely possible to not be a virgin, but for the sex to still be valid.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

boris said:
Idealistically, it's an extremely romantic notion. I'm just not sure how possible it is today on a large scale.

SO, you'd like to be faithful, but nobody else is, and who are you to resist?

I think it's a question of character. It goes to the heart of your integrity as a human being.

Im done here.

boris

Banned
HSC

Iron said:

I think it's a question of character. It goes to the heart of your integrity as a human being.

Im done here.
What are you talking about?

I'm 100% for monogomy in a relationship. What I was saying was, I'm not entirely sure how possible it is for a person to have one partner for their entire life?

I'm not saying 'oh hey it's impossible so lets go sleep with everybody!'

I'm saying you can have other sexual partners before you settle down with your partner for life, and the sex with your current partner is still as meaningful as if it was your first time.

Fuck mang, take a chill pill.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Iron said:

Im done here.
wait wait. nobody said anything about being unfaithful. even if you have multiple sexual partners it is very possible to be totally committed to each of them while the relationship lasts. i think perhaps you are confusing virginity with loyalty somehow?

also, i don't think many people ever know right away who the love of their life is. you might think person A is mr/mrs right and you go and have sex with them, maybe even get married, but it mightn't work out and you end up with person G somewhere down the track.

boris

Banned
HSC

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
wait wait. nobody said anything about being unfaithful. even if you have multiple sexual partners it is very possible to be totally committed to each of them while the relationship lasts. i think perhaps you are confusing virginity with loyalty somehow?

also, i don't think many people ever know right away who the love of their life is. you might think person A is mr/mrs right and you go and have sex with them, maybe even get married, but it mightn't work out and you end up with person G somewhere down the track.
Exactly my point!

I think once you are in a relationship, then thats IT!. Nobody else. No sex with anybody. No hanky panky.

What I was saying was, I think this day in age you have to have some pretty heavy duty will power to never sleep with anybody except for the one person. I'm not saying once you're in a relationship it's okay to fuck everybody.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

One minute the topic is about virginity and next Iron is raving about how you can't be loyal unless you're a virgin.

boris

Banned
HSC

Slidey said:
One minute the topic is about virginity and next Iron is raving about how you can't be loyal unless you're a virgin.
I hope Iron misinterpreted what I was saying. I would be crushed inside if I thought he considered me a loose hussy with no regard for monogomy in a relationship.

/cut

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:

Virginity IS loyalty. It's loyalty to love, fidelity, community, your desires for TRUE intimacy.

Sex without incredible connection is a temptation that must be resisted for the sake of your self-respect.

Courtship should be utterly thorough. In modern society, virginity is close to the top of all the virtues...
(particularly for the young and good looking)

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

I take offence to the idea that not being a virgin means you do not display and value self respect.

Loyalty is loyalty. Virginity is not loyalty. Monogomy is loyalty.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Iron said:
Virginity IS loyalty. It's loyalty to love, fidelity, community, your desires for TRUE intimacy.

Sex without incredible connection is a temptation that must be resisted for the sake of your self-respect.

Courtship should be utterly thorough. In modern society, virginity is close to the top of all the virtues...
(particularly for the young and good looking)
...How can virginity be the same thing as loyalty? How can it be impossible to feel intensely in love with more than one person? (not at the same time of course). There's something wrong with your reasoning here.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Iron said:
I would say that there's nothing MORE important to a relationship. It is the height, the climax. The moment that is cheapened, the less fullfilling other relationships will be. And the more shallow and selfish YOU will be.
Bullshit. Not being a virgin means you know what you're doing, which, funnily enough, heightens the pleasure of the experience.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

My reasoning is as pure and white as the virginity I speak of.

To retain your virginity despite temptation/offers whatever, you affirm your loyalty to the concept of a one true love - a soulmate, another half, a natural extension of yourself, a solid unpenetratable unit whos synergy allows you to achieve goals no individual could achieve.

Most of all, it's trust. In a time and age skeptical of fellow man, business, government, God, truth, existence, trust is of fundermental importance. Virginity is an article of faith, an act of defiance against a corrupt and imperfect world. When you give someone your virginity, you give them your innocence, your youth, your hopes for peace, unity, love and community - you give them your trust. If the concrete of romantic chemistry has been seen to, then the summit of sex is the glue to seal the time-old, sacred bond between two lovers.

Of course people can learn to love others, but that love will never be as perfect, pure or sublime.
Deal with it.

Last edited:

historykidd

HSC

Iron said:

To retain your virginity despite temptation/offers whatever, you affirm your loyalty to the concept of a one true love - a soulmate, another half, a natural extension of yourself, a solid unpenetratable unit whos synergy allows you to achieve goals no individual could achieve.

Most of all, it's trust. In a time and age skeptical of fellow man, business, government, God, truth, existence, trust is of fundermental importance. Virginity is an article of faith, an act of defiance against a corrupt and imperfect world. When you give someone your virginity, you give them your trust. If the concrete of romantic chemistry has been seen to, then the summit of sex is the glue to seal the time-old, sacred bond between two lovers.

Of course people can learn to love others, but that love will never be as perfect, pure or sublime.
Deal with it.
Virgin alert.

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC

Just a question of interest -
Why is monogamy such an entrenched value in modern society? Is it not possible for a man to have multiple partners at the same time, provided he is HONEST about his other relationships?

Of course, the main argument probably is that those relationships lose their meaning, but isn't it possible to have very intimate connections with more than one person, in the same way you might have many close friends?

I'm not saying I'm polygamistic, but I'm just curious about how values like 'true love', 'love at first sight', 'soul mates', monogamy, etc. and so on have been instilled into us by fairytales and romantic comedies without so much as questioning them.

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC

Iron said:

Most of all, it's trust. In a time and age skeptical of fellow man, business, government, God, truth, existence, trust is of fundermental importance. Virginity is an article of faith, an act of defiance against a corrupt and imperfect world. When you give someone your virginity, you give them your trust. If the concrete of romantic chemistry has been seen to, then the summit of sex is the glue to seal the time-old, sacred bond between two lovers.

Deal with it.

Where did this concept of 'one true love' come from? I think it's been embedded into our subconscious by endless viewing of soap operas and romantic comedies. I agree that we live in an impure and corrupt world, but at a certain point idealism just turns into delusion.

For me, a proper working relationship consists of shared experiences and shared emotions and a genuine connection, along with a healthy sexual desire for the other person. I think that these criteria can work for any number of people in the world.

boris

Banned
HSC

So Iron, are you basically saying you could never have a relationship with somebody who isn't a virgin, because the relationship wouldn't be as loving or pure?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Iron said:

Most of all, it's trust. In a time and age skeptical of fellow man, business, government, God, truth, existence, trust is of fundermental importance. Virginity is an article of faith, an act of defiance against a corrupt and imperfect world. When you give someone your virginity, you give them your innocence, your youth, your hopes for peace, unity, love and community - you give them your trust. If the concrete of romantic chemistry has been seen to, then the summit of sex is the glue to seal the time-old, sacred bond between two lovers.

Deal with it.
What the fuck.

EDIT: Let me rephase that: Who told you virginity was so pure? I mean, what basis do you have for that claim?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)