Should you push yourself hard ? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
If you will never study for the HSC there will be an extremely slim chance of succeeding in the HSC, but pushing yourself to the limit with revision for extended periods of time is not good either.

I also heard pressure is the one that affects you negatively, so how far should you push yourself when studying prior to upcoming exams ?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
f3nr15 said:
If you will never study for the HSC there will be an extremely slim chance of succeeding in the HSC, but pushing yourself to the limit with revision for extended periods of time is not good either.

I also heard pressure is the one that affects you negatively, so how far should you push yourself when studying prior to upcoming exams ?
At the moment as my trials are coming up, i can work for a long time with just little breaks in between primarily due to the fact that i feel guilty if i don't. I have a pretty balanced life between school, my social life and friends, and hence that keeps me sane. If you do, then you're much less likely to burn out.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
also use affirmative words.

'pushing yourself hard' can work negatively against your subconscious (of course this is all theory but yeah theory ftw!).

instead use 'i would like to be motivated' or
some token black dude said:
If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
no sorry my advice > yours :p

better yet replay that song over and over again in your sleep.

if you're not already listening to your study notes in your sleep (you know .. how some people are auditory learners and everything)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I don't know what I think about trying hard or whatever. Because I have been trying hard since Year 11 and I really stepped up for Year 12, and my marks are just getting worse. I feel like I'm getting more dumb as I get older. I think I may have peaked too early (kindergarten was great).
I'm a dumb nerd and I study so much that there are alot of nights that I don't sleep much, for example, I started my trials on Monday and in the last three nights I have had a combined total of around 11.5 hours sleep, but so far, I have been travelling okay, I mean I'm still awake now.
My parents and some teachers have been saying that I need to sleep more and stop stressing, and although I know they only have my best interests at heart, it pisses me off because stress is what I do. I know that if I don't study there is NO CHANCE of me passing any exam.
But last week I was studying for economics and went to sleep early because I was sick of working. I went to bed around 11pm and I woke up around 1:30 in like a panic attack or something. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I just sat upright in bed all confused about what was going on, and from then on, I only slept in half hour intervals. So, even if I do try and get more sleep, it doesn't help because I even stress when I'm sleeping! Yes, i am a loser.
There have been times (such as yesterday) where I have felt so bloody depressed about my exams that I have decided to give up on studying altogether. This resulted in me having a breakdown last night and me failing English Paper 2 this morning (I think).
So, in conclusion, I would like to be able to find a balance, but when I don't study I feel guilty and it stresses me even more, which is undisputably something no HSC student needs during the trials, and if I don't study, I'm even worse off. I would have to say that unless it is killing you (literally or pschologically), there is no such thing as pushing yourself too hard. And to be honest, some people in my grade aren't pushing themselves enough.

Baby_Monkey88

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
I don't know what I think about trying hard or whatever. Because I have been trying hard since Year 11 and I really stepped up for Year 12, and my marks are just getting worse. I feel like I'm getting more dumb as I get older. I think I may have peaked too early (kindergarten was great).
I'm a dumb nerd and I study so much that there are alot of nights that I don't sleep much, for example, I started my trials on Monday and in the last three nights I have had a combined total of around 11.5 hours sleep, but so far, I have been travelling okay, I mean I'm still awake now.
My parents and some teachers have been saying that I need to sleep more and stop stressing, and although I know they only have my best interests at heart, it pisses me off because stress is what I do. I know that if I don't study there is NO CHANCE of me passing any exam.
But last week I was studying for economics and went to sleep early because I was sick of working. I went to bed around 11pm and I woke up around 1:30 in like a panic attack or something. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I just sat upright in bed all confused about what was going on, and from then on, I only slept in half hour intervals. So, even if I do try and get more sleep, it doesn't help because I even stress when I'm sleeping! Yes, i am a loser.
There have been times (such as yesterday) where I have felt so bloody depressed about my exams that I have decided to give up on studying altogether. This resulted in me having a breakdown last night and me failing English Paper 2 this morning (I think).
So, in conclusion, I would like to be able to find a balance, but when I don't study I feel guilty and it stresses me even more, which is undisputably something no HSC student needs during the trials, and if I don't study, I'm even worse off. I would have to say that unless it is killing you (literally or pschologically), there is no such thing as pushing yourself too hard. And to be honest, some people in my grade aren't pushing themselves enough.
hmmm..i really do think u need a break. i pushed myself pretty hard i think, during trials studying up to 4 hours weekdays, 8 hours weekends. didn't sleep well and i have panic attacks too, but when i'm having them, i'll tell myself to calm down and i'll be okay and i think that helps. And I take one hour breaks in between studying, if i feel guilty i'll tell myself that i earned that break cuz i've studied hard.I do think that studying a day before an exam is a bad idea, u need to calm yourself, read some notes in the bus in the morning if u have to but u need a good sleep before exams. and i think as long as u know u did ur best, wat can u do? there IS life after hsc. Just do ur best.

NBAD

HSC
Why not burn yourself out?

I understand that some people have real difficulties in their personel home life, and those peolpe should not lose track of their family which is more important, but a person like me, who has had fun for the last 2 years and so far isn't suffering from any bouts of deppresion of stress, should go nuts for the remaining month

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
NBAD said:
Why not burn yourself out?

I understand that some people have real difficulties in their personel home life, and those peolpe should not lose track of their family which is more important, but a person like me, who has had fun for the last 2 years and so far isn't suffering from any bouts of deppresion of stress, should go nuts for the remaining month

I only smoke and drink once in a while (once in half a year) ... and rushing only works for some students

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
I find the best way of stopping myself from stressing is by telling myself that there are always other ways to achieve your goals... Even if it takes you a few years more to reach your goal if you're really committed you'll be able to get there eventually... and on the way there just have fun!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
stress is not good. the night before my 4U exam, i couldnt get any sleep. i only really slept from 1:30am, had to wake up at around 6:30am. NOT GOOD AT ALL. my 4U mark wasnt what i had expected. i guess the lack of sleep and the stress that kept me up all night was overwhelming, and it did affect my final HSC mark, in a negative way.

balance is the key. and that balance does entail good health. so eat well and sleep well! you will be more focused if u do this, so you are more productive and get more study done than if u didnt follow some good health tips. in other words, quality and depth of study over quantity of study matters.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
stress is great in small quantities. think adrenaline

however distress is the downfall for some of us i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)